Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33252

• bopes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1481
Wig,how DARE you take a break from MOM for even one second!!!!

No, but seriously, HAPPY BIRTHDAY OLD MAN!! Many more!

The new banners look great (btw how do I download those things? On my end they display in some kind of slide viewer gizmo that won't let me save or copy them. Consequently I had to save mine as a screen grab which is what I used to upload into my profile thingy. But it's not as crisp I don't think as the "original")

Re in-game recruiting what's the etiquette on that? With the exception of the D_N situation I haven't done it much other than the occasional impulsive shout out to a player that catches my attention. I'll say something like "how old?" and if the response fits I'll just holler "join MOM!" I think I did that on impulse with a player named quiet (mainly because i liked the choice of name and the carrier tank-shelling prowess on display at the time). But maybe I should avoid doing that unless I'm certain the player is unaffiliated with another squad?

Finally (whew, long post!) i think I did see confirmation from trigger that he's in.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33254

• bopes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Oh, and I just saw a pm from a player named Chanoc who wants in. IIRC this is a solid player. Anyone else have any opinions?

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33255

• Oedius Momicus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • MOLON LABE!
  • Thank you received: 346
I do remember Chanoc and I agree with you that he is a good player and I also think he would be good for our squadron.

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33256

• new jersey devil
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 673
He has shot my ass down a few times..I'll vouch for him chanoc..decent player....mean ole devil.

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33258

• Wigbomb
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Flarf
  • Thank you received: 5075
Thanks for the wishes, guys! I had no idea you even knew it was my birthday! o.O

Devil, and anyone else wondering how to capture graphics: click the link, open the thumbnail, then right click on the image that opens up and select "save image as". Or PM me with your direct email address if you'd like me to send you full resolution squad graphics attached to an email. We can also post all graphics on a free service like Photobucket. SheiBe has created an account for us and he and I are looking into that as an option, we hear it gets used a lot here.

My thumbs up for Chanoc, too. I've played with him a few times and been duly impressed. Let's get the word to him that he's up for membership.

Hey Bopes, this is weird; I was thinking just now, I wonder if we should think about "adopting" our own respective Prodigy players? Like, each of us would have his own sidekick or multiple sidekicks, all younger players we've each spotted and thought should be in M.O.M. Then I thought, "Who would I consider? Oh, yeah...Quiet, definitely." Whether we do the "mentor" thing with Prodigies or not, we couldn't go wrong adding Quiet to the roster. Everyone, be on the lookout for him and let him know.

As for recruitment etiquette, I think we're all feeling about the same; pitch any player who isn't flying the colors of another squadron, answer any questions from affiliated players and invite them to visit the thread - I'm telling them to PM me if they'd like, thinking they might not want it known that they're "shopping" us but might have some questions they couldn't post to us without revealing their interest - and welcome any unsolicited applications as we've been doing so far. D_N is a good example of the free agent candidate and there are a few in the 111th who've cautiously asked indirect questions about M.O.M., I figured it was pretty clear why. Again, I just told 'em to visit the thread, PM me with questions and left it at that. I think I speak for us all when I say we respect the other squadrons here and don't want to actively raid their rosters. Some players are just a better fit for M.O.M. than they are for the other squads, they see what we're about and they know it...and those are the guys we want.

As much as we (and I, in particular) make light of squadrons and try to keep it anti-serious, here's an observation that just struck me: we have the best player in the game in our ranks. B Strachan may not have the most kills though he's rapidly overtaking the #2 spot, and he has more deads and crashed than anyone else on the Top 100...but look at his Hangars Bombed and Won Games. With that many kills, but also that many deads/crashed, it tells me something about the way he plays; he makes himself vulnerable and sacrifices himself to win games. Hangars and Wins can only equal a dedication to the team more than to his own stats. If he were a kill greedy type imagine how many he'd have by now! All that time devoted to bombing and helping his team to win could've been spent shooting down another 54k planes. I'm proud to be flying under the same banner as a player like that, and like all of you. (snif) No, I'm not getting misty, just snorting another line of smack...or, y'know, whatever it is you snort lines of...

Wigipedia

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33263

• Trigger
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Dork, hiker, boatbuilder, master marksman, dork!
  • Thank you received: 100
I have happily changed over to MOM. Thank you all. Gary in pink.... The lagging thing I believe is due to the new update... I run at 50 mbps and I was lagging so bad the other day that I was getting accused of cheating and had to stop playing as to not gain a bad reputation. I have never lagged so much until this last update. Maybe it is just my iPad and iPhone acting up, but it would have to be both of them because I have seen an equal increase. Doggs did not raid the E roster for me if that is a concern. I have long respected him as a player and inquired when I noticed the new MOM banner on his name. I may not be the best player, and I only play about once to twice a week, but I am very happy to be in such great company with team M.O.M. I have looked up to nearly all of you as players. ( mainly from my chute, while you strafe me with tracers) thanks again, Trigger

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33266

• Dentinhead
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't ask me, I don't know
  • Thank you received: 2736
Da** I can't keep up... Congrat's and welcome to all who have joined......

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33267

• Mr. Serious
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • gen~~~~~~~~jack
  • Thank you received: 1352

oedius wrote: Hey ktheo, that last carrier game we were in, I started lagging so bad that I thought I was going to have to quit. Were you experiencing anything like that? The next game I played was protect zepplin and it was still bad. I think I must call my internet provider tomorrow about upgrading speed. I am just worried how much added cost it will be. I think I am only at 2.5MG right now. Does that sound right? Sorry to bring this subject up here as I'm sure there is topic already. Just wondered if there was some consensus amoung you guys concerning optimum / minimum connection speed.

Laag was so bad yesterday, i couldnt even chase well......felt like u was flying in slooooow moootion...lol.......not too mention i couldnt hit anything........i guess the laag comes and goes, some days are good and some days are bad.... :unsure:

Gen~~~~~~~~jack

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33270

• Dentinhead
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Any one know Noahisthebomb....He/she is asking about Joining...I don't know this person that well so I can't give a recommendation....

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33272

• Wigbomb
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Flarf
Dent, I may have played against Noahisthebomb, it's a memorable name, but I can't recall. You meet, and get killed by, so many people in this game.

Trigger, I don't know what we're doing but we're obviously doing something right to attract players of your caliber. Your presence, I'm sure, will elevate the squad, my friend. Have a personal banner and my personal welcome to M.O.M.

Wigipedia
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trigger

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33285

• bopes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Wig, yes if anyone qualifies for "god among mortals" status, it is B Strachan, no question. In fact, AFAIK he's the only player who has "died" (through loss of account, after achieving highest rank!!!) and been "resurrected". How is that for legendary? [Note: For the record, so as not to blasphemously offend anyone's personal beliefs, I make no comparison to actual religious figures. :) ] Always look on the bright side of life . . .

Anyway, as far as "mentoring" I am inclined to keep it more informal. Mentoring sounds too corporate (what's next, unpaid internships?), and most of us have survived enough corporate BS to be leery of anything that smacks of it. I look at it this way, if Bill Murray or Will Ferrel played Dogfight, they'd be in MOM amirite? Would they "mentor"? No! They'd lead by deadpan hilarious example. That's what we should strive for. If Donald Sutherland or Clint Eastwood (think "Kelley's Heroes") were in MOM, would they mentor? No! They'd cut a deal with the panzer tank driver and everyone would walk away with the gold, amirite? That's what we should strive for. (Wait how do we do that?)

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33286

• Fredneck
  • Thank you received: 63
Hey all. My first time posting in the forum. I clicked the sign up on the first page. I guess I didn't understand protocol. I would like to be a part of your squadron. I'm a 40 year old school teacher from midamerica. I have loved planes since I was a kid. I earned the nickname fredneck from the fact that if something needed to be done or fixed, I could usually find a way with what was on hand. I have a bit of actually stick time and have passed my pilot ground school class a long time ago but never had the $ to get licensed. Sorry for the problem with the premature sign up. I will get it fixed.

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33290

• Dentinhead
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I've played in game with you many times fredneck......your very good...

I say in........everyone else?

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33291

• SheiBe Kopf
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 744
Ok, For all who want to put a Banner in the Signature Bar… Thanks to Slenderman and help from a 10 year old, I was able to stumble on how to accomplish this task. Sorry Calvin, I should have just asked you first..

1.You need to open a “Photobucket.com” account. It’s free takes 3 minutes.(Was just informed by Wig that he may set up an account for everyone to use with all banners posted on it) Upload your banner/photos/logo’s/old Slim Witman photo’s to photobucket and save them there.
2.When you place the mouse cursor over the banner a drop down menu appears. Select ”IMG THUMB” and COPY the URL address line. If you just left click the URL, it coppies it.
3.Now open up Dogfight and Paste the URL into the Signature Box. There will be several lines of code, so don’t fret that you don’t see a banner, it’s there!!!
4.MOST INPORTANT….. PUSH THE SAVE BUTTON… YER DUNN !!

I wrote this so that my wife could understand how to do it. So if anyones intelligence is insulted you know why... :unsure: :dry:

If there is another way to do this, I don't know of it.. But this works..

Thanks again To Slenderman..

Last edit: by SheiBe Kopf. Reason: revised 1300 ctz

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33292

• bopes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
In! (fredneck, I mean)

Last edit: by bopes.

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33295

• Wigbomb
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Flarf
Hopes, agreed and agreed again on mentoring. I didn't make my idea clear. We recruit these young phenom players, they are then regarded "Bopes's Prodigy" or "Dent's Prodigy", then, in the spirit of MOMmunism, they belong to the collective and we, as mentors, don't do a g*dd*amn thing. Just one more way to lend ourselves some half-arsed credibility we don't care about while strengthening the sense of belonging of our new young buckaroos. Gawd help us if I ever sound like I want this thing to get corporate or taking-itself-too-seriously. My tongue was planted firmly in my cheek. Still like the idea, though.

Fredneck, sorry for busting you in-game about the premature tag, it just threw me off. We've played several times and I have the underside of you plane committed to memory as you proceed about your business while I'm untangling my chute. I would have invited you if you hadn't beat me to the punch! That MOM tag is a good look on you, sailor. Wanna have a good time? You're about to...welcome to M.O.M.! Watch the thread for your banner or instructions on grabbing it from photobucket coming soon.

Wigipedia

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33296

• Wigbomb
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Flarf
Jeezis, this frickin' keyboard. That should say Bopes, not Hopes! I hopes you'll forgive the fat fingered typing, Bopes.

Wigipedia

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33297

• bopes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Bopes springs eternal. :)

Re other stuff, sounds good wig.

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33298

• Oedius Momicus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • MOLON LABE!

. Wigbomb wrote: Jeezis, this frickin' keyboard. That should say Bopes, not Hopes! I hopes you'll forgive the fat fingered typing, Bopes.

Thanks, Wig! It makes me feel so much better knowing that I am not the only one. You can't believe all of the time I spend going back to edit my posts to fix my "misfires". :cheer: It is especially bad when doing this from the touch keypad of my Droid.

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33300

• Fredneck
  • Thank you received: 63
Thanks! Looking forward to it!

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33301

• Luna
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1516
I've seen a lot of you guys in the skies. Its great seeing another squadron become successful.

You'll definitely be a challenging opponent once Squad Wars happens. (Not to mention, you have a couple former Falcons. :P )
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dentinhead, bopes, Oedius Momicus

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33302

• Oedius Momicus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • MOLON LABE!
I have no idea why I am feeling the need to post this but, it has to do with the name of my old high school sports teams. I have a strong hunch that I have everyone beat. "Redbug" is what senior football & basketball team is. "Ladybugs" for girls basketball. "Chiggers" for I think middle schoolers, "Babybugs" for the grammer schoolers.

This is in Fordyce, Arkansas.

Believe it or not. :P
Attachments:

Last edit: by Oedius Momicus.

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33303

• Dentinhead
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hey let's not start with the I'm not shootin another M.O.M. down thing....the game's will end up drying up and not be fun....... We're all friend's here...... let's play the game. There are time's I won't shoot at other players (That I've had in my sights) for one reason or another. He** I think It was fredneck and I that just played chicken and I crashed LMAO. We both just decided not to shoot and ran head on into each other. That's not the reason I'm posting this.....

I just want to make sure no M.O.M. get's PO'd when shot down by another M.O.M. I don't....Have at me....H^ll I don't think dogss could put enough bullit's in me....... :)

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33307

• Sparky8977
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey, do we have a squadron moto? Something that sounds tough and represents our members...like "Death Before Depends"
There are old pilots and bold pilots but........uh......crap..........what was I talking about?

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33308

• DoGss
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1477

dentinhead wrote: Hey let's not start with the I'm not shootin another M.O.M. down thing....the game's will end up drying up and not be fun....... We're all friend's here...... let's play the game. There are time's I won't shoot at other players (That I've had in my sights) for one reason or another. He** I think It was fredneck and I that just played chicken and I crashed LMAO. We both just decided not to shoot and ran head on into each other. That's not the reason I'm posting this.....

I just want to make sure no M.O.M. get's PO'd when shot down by another M.O.M. I don't....Have at me....H^ll I don't think dogss could put enough bullit's in me....... :)

Yes dent I do enjoy shooting you afterall old enigma falcon rivals. I draw the line at spawmkilling other mom members with a tank lol. Wudf squad will not let you off the ground the more you get spawnkilled the better you get at avoiding it. Though if im pissing you off just let me know and I'll always back off.

We are now one kickazz squad. Welcome everyone. Kopf will update when he gets a chance im sure.
A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome...

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33311

• Dentinhead
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I will never get PO'd at a M.O.M. for shooting me down.....and if your in a tank taking out hangars and 3 people spawn at once....well I might just make that one shot to down 3 at once. Gives the team a chance to get closer. As far as spawn killing in a tank...I don't do it....

Your a Sport dogss.....LMAO

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33314

• DoGss
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1477
One other thing. You might notice your being called a traitor from other squads. I find this laughable since there were only two powerhouse squads with no competition when there was no war. No one here is a traitor you found a bunch of other guys you'd rather fight with. Marines Navy Army Airforce. Different strokes for different folks.
A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome...

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33315

• Sparky8977
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Wigbomb,

The numbers are 8977, but I'm giving some thought to changing the screen name...the numbers were because plain old "sparky" was already taken when I registered. Maybe I'll plagiarise Devil and put "Mean Ole" in front...I like that a lot better than a squadron name or letter in brackets.
There are old pilots and bold pilots but........uh......crap..........what was I talking about?

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33316

• Oedius Momicus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • MOLON LABE!

dentinhead wrote: I will never get PO'd at a M.O.M. for shooting me down.....and if your in a tank taking out hangars and 3 people spawn at once....well I might just make that one shot to down 3 at once. Gives the team a chance to get closer. As far as spawn killing in a tank...I don't do it....

I absolutely agree with you 100%, dent! :)

The Mean Old Men 11 years 8 months ago #33317

• bopes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

dentinhead wrote: I will never get PO'd at a M.O.M. for shooting me down.....and if your in a tank taking out hangars and 3 people spawn at once....well I might just make that one shot to down 3 at once. Gives the team a chance to get closer. As far as spawn killing in a tank...I don't do it....

As far as that goes I will cheerfully (attempt to) take out any and all opposing MOM-sters. My aim is so bad you should regard that as more of a consolation than a threat. I expect (and so far have received!) nothing less from you all. :)

BTW if a player named "Shatner's Bassoon" shows up wanting in he has my vote, based on the name alone. That is classic.

Last edit: by bopes.
Moderators: WigbombCricketDoggy Dix
Time to create page: 1.236 seconds