Username: Password: Remember me
English
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Crashing 1 year 3 months ago #387503

• ..OWL..{WP*}
  • ..OWL..{WP*}'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 108
Why do some people crash more than others in head ons? And some people get a lot of crashes doing the exact same just wondering is it connection? 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl, DireWolf{WP****}

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ..OWL..{WP*}.

Crashing 1 year 3 months ago #387504

• DireWolf{WP****}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 4958
Hey Owl, 

Nice banner! To your question I think it may be a combination of things--phone vs. PC, internet connection speeds vary. I was in a game the other day and the in-game weather caused several player crashes. I still like the weather changes as it makes it more challenging. 

Howl on, brother! OOOOooOOOooOOOOOooOOOOOooOOOOoOOOO
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl

Last edit: by DireWolf{WP****}.

Crashing 1 year 3 months ago #387506

• zuperman
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13138
It's just the physics engine of Unity and lag. It works differently on different devices and you see planes in places where they are not really located.
So when you crash head on, the other player may actually see you 3 meters on the side... to him, you are not crashing at all. You would crash (on your device you did) but he doesn't crash (on his device you didn't touch each other).

If you are really curious, you can see it in this video. In the last part, minute 11
(12) How To Do Client Prediction in 2022 [Unity Tutorial/C#] - YouTube

This is what all multiplayer games with the best network technology in Unity do, including Dogfight Elite. The green and orange colors represent where the cube is and where it is predicted to be based on the lag of the other player.
As you can see, there is a small discrepancy. But that is because that cube is moving slowly. On airplanes, moving at full speed head one, that discrepancy is meters apart. And it's not easy to fix because Unity by design has that problem.

That's why I'm writing a whole new system that I've been working on for the past month and avoiding Unity physics as much as possible. Keep in mind that this problem is impossible to solve (it's a common problem in all multiplayer games), but at least I can mitigate it much better than right now.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Marko99, Acegirl, Gannet, DireWolf{WP****}, Pegoud, Montymor.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.559 seconds