Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Poll: Split to different servers? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Yes, desktop players should be sepa
23 24.5%
No, we like all together
71 75.5%
Total number of voters: 94 ( BLACK HAWK GRINCH, onekill, Alex Galt, Luke Skystalker, nickisrc ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC:

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278252

• Rudolf Rednose
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2783
.......Zup, it's your game, not ours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [LB] Pedrinho

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rudolf Rednose.

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278266

• GHOSTRIDER1
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Yippie Die Yo Yippie Die Yay
  • Thank you received: 1873
I voted yes only on the assumption that one would be assigned to a server based on their device, NOT their account. I assume if this were to happen the game would auto detect the device, and assign you to a server. I would hate to have to see players with multiple devices have multiple accounts to be able to play on all their devices

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278278

• MICHAEL KANE..
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1336

Think we all need to do a little of this, turn down our sensitivity..lol.....although this is a simple vote it has brought up some interesting side topics, I always presumed I was getting shot down in dog fights, not because of tighter turning circles on devices, rather that they were just better than me at it and there is no doubt thats true some peeps are, im more of a long distance shooter and bomby guy. In one dogfight Someone said to me what device u on because I was turning so quickly , I said kindle, so maybe its part skill that helps.All I know is that I love the team effort in games, and the jokey flying along, it still reminds me of why I started to play this game in the first place. All together, different devices, and different skills, to me its all still great fun, maybe we have forgotten to remember that....have fun out there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]VonHuLK, Rudolf Rednose, [*M]Skyripper, Acegirl, Gannet

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278286

• [*M]Skyripper
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "Time is infinite, Life is not"
  • Thank you received: 11461

MICHAEL KANE.. wrote:

Think we all need to do a little of this, turn down our sensitivity..lol.....although this is a simple vote it has brought up some interesting side topics, I always presumed I was getting shot down in dog fights, not because of tighter turning circles on devices, rather that they were just better than me at it and there is no doubt thats true some peeps are, im more of a long distance shooter and bomby guy. In one dogfight Someone said to me what device u on because I was turning so quickly , I said kindle, so maybe its part skill that helps.All I know is that I love the team effort in games, and the jokey flying along, it still reminds me of why I started to play this game in the first place. All together, different devices, and different skills, to me its all still great fun, maybe we have forgotten to remember that....have fun out there.

Funny you would post this. When I first started playing I had the sensitivity cranked up to the max, some of the older Pilots also told me to do this. Then one day, someone told me to turn it down that my long range shots would be better. Tried it and saw an immediate difference.

[M]isfit to the core
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]VonHuLK, Acegirl

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278328

• [M] Johnny Kent
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Yes , ive always been a bit of a Kent !
  • Thank you received: 1165

Hello to those who care to read B) .... i voted to stay as it is , firstly as i believe that this could be the straw that breaks the camel's back if the formats were to split , a change too far me thinks .But also because Zup is probably sat quietly hoping we vote to stay the same and threfore not doubling his work load . I understand hes started this vote to draw a line under the matter but its happening already in game to a certain extent , some of the pc ( better turn )players prefer the dogfight game and the head on ( sharp shooters ) prefer bomb the base missions , in my humble opinion , regards johnnie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278334

• Longrifle
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 876

[M] Johnny Kent wrote: some of the pc ( better turn )players prefer the dogfight game and the head on ( sharp shooters ) prefer bomb the base missions , in my humble opinion , regards johnnie

That's true, but the anger you see in other posts is casued by the PC players that enter bombing games, drop and twirl to run up their scores. In a game where the machines on both sides are historically inaccurate to be even, and with the new four hit rule it is now a near certainty of being shot down, every pass. There are plenty of fixes, but separation is the least desirable from a community standpoint.

Make the planes more like historical (matched planes at each level will have different attributes, SPAD faster, Fokker triplane turns faster to the right), make the planes more equal by platform (shorten the span that the tilt has to go thorugh, will tighten turns and make it harder to enage at a distance as there will be less travel allowed) or limit each game at the start to a certain year, and only the planes existing in that year can be selected.

Lots of potential fixes; but status quo is why we are losing players. Fix the lag, fix the differential.
This Gun's For Hire

The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]VonHuLK, Rudolf Rednose

Last edit: by Longrifle.

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278358

• darraxx
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10674

MICHAEL KANE.. wrote:

Wow holy crap if you guys have to turn down the sensitivity that low then there's a huge HUGE ! difference between devices.I have an android and to long range shoot mines only down just a touch maybe this is something zup needs to look into there shouldn't be that much difference on the sensitivity settings

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278360

• darraxx
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Here's mine I can turn fast but if yours is down that low to fly stable when it's maxed out you should be able to out turn anyone

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278362

• Longrifle
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Mine's maxxed. It took me a long time to be able to snipe at range with it set that tight, but back in the day it was the only way to turnfight. Now it doesn't matter, the slower plane just lumbers. Against titl platforms it's an endless dance waiting on the other guy to be distracted by another red, against non-tilt its two turns in any direction and flames.
This Gun's For Hire

The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]VonHuLK

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278365

• darraxx
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Longrifle wrote: Mine's maxxed. It took me a long time to be able to snipe at range with it set that tight, but back in the day it was the only way to turnfight. Now it doesn't matter, the slower plane just lumbers. Against titl platforms it's an endless dance waiting on the other guy to be distracted by another red, against non-tilt its two turns in any direction and flames.

Right the sensitivity might be equal.on.paper but not in the game

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278371

• Vale46
  • Thank you received: 29
Er...darraxx, I think you've missed Michael Kane's joke! He was saying that we as players shouldn't be so sensitive and quick to take offence.

I don't imagine he's flying around with sensitivity that low; if he is then the fact that I still can't shoot him down means I'm even worse than I thought I was!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZebraUp, MICHAEL KANE.., [*M]Skyripper, [*M]Comet, Doggy Dix, nebular, |111th| Mr.McLovin

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278464

• zuperman
  • zuperman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13138
well, yes, I shouldn't had allowed for multiple platforms to be on the same servers but it has historical reasons. The main one is that there were not as many players at the beginning so splitting the servers had a huge impact: you would see nobody in the games, most of the times you would just fly alone or with another single player.

The game grew and then it is the situation we have now. Honestly, I prefer not to split it because I think it is part of the charm of the game that you can play with everyone.

For Dogfight 2 I will split them because I will also add support for game consoles: xbox/ps. Meaning there will be enough players in theory to allow for it.

As for the current version of Dogfight... I think it is becoming clear the majority agrees with me that we should allow everyone to play together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luke Skystalker, ZebraUp, MICHAEL KANE.., [*M]Skyripper, Acegirl, [*M]Comet, Kamikaze King, {GI} E*A*G*L*E, Armament, nebular and 2 other people also said thanks.

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278470

• tailzz,vip
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • wtf
  • Thank you received: 92
O chet em i to late to VOTE !

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278530

• WarEagle!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SKREEEEAGH!!!!
  • Thank you received: 869

zuperman wrote: well, yes, I shouldn't had allowed for multiple platforms to be on the same servers but it has historical reasons. The main one is that there were not as many players at the beginning so splitting the servers had a huge impact: you would see nobody in the games, most of the times you would just fly alone or with another single player.

The game grew and then it is the situation we have now. Honestly, I prefer not to split it because I think it is part of the charm of the game that you can play with everyone.

For Dogfight 2 I will split them because I will also add support for game consoles: xbox/ps. Meaning there will be enough players in theory to allow for it.

As for the current version of Dogfight... I think it is becoming clear the majority agrees with me that we should allow everyone to play together.

Zuperman I was just thinking...instead of permanently separating or combining the two servers why no just have the option to play on either one on the home page???????????????????????????????
Misfit 4 life

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278538

• zuperman
  • zuperman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13138
because i'm not going to make a single change on Dogfight unless massively requested, otherwise I get tons of people complaining as to why I change a game that works just fine and how much I destroy it with every update.

No matter what I do, someone will complain. So at least this one is easier on me: no work on df1, all work on df2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luke Skystalker, ZebraUp, Acegirl, Doggy Dix, {GI} E*A*G*L*E

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278543

• dognamitt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • you will miss 100% of the shots you dont take
  • Thank you received: 5755
hey zup can u put a choice of how many bombs you can carry on a mission rather than be stuck with 2 ?

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278552

• WarEagle!
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SKREEEEAGH!!!!
  • Thank you received: 869

zuperman wrote: because i'm not going to make a single change on Dogfight unless massively requested, otherwise I get tons of people complaining as to why I change a game that works just fine and how much I destroy it with every update.

No matter what I do, someone will complain. So at least this one is easier on me: no work on df1, all work on df2

That's cool man. Ur doing a good job Ty very much
Misfit 4 life
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl, Gannet

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278661

• Grandpappy 9+1 {WP}
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 464

I play on a pc. Not very good at turn or head on, and sometimes it seems the first head on shot takes me down. I never thought of it as a platform advantage, just assumed I got hit in the right place. I vote no, for same reason as many - this game is about the people, so don't split them up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MICHAEL KANE..

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 9 months ago #278682

• darraxx
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I voted no keep us together but I would like to know if the settings on different devices is different some do have a distinct advantage zup .that's a fact in the game whether you choose to believe it or not .we wouldn't be saying anything if it wasn't happening to

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 8 months ago #278729

• [*M]Comet
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Take off eh!
  • Thank you received: 11899

Heff006 wrote: I don't think that 80 votes in total is a fair cross section of players. . Voting needs to be on main tittle screen!And compulsory to vote before being able to play again.

Would you say the same if the polls were in your favor?
Bannerless and naked. Whatever...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZebraUp, {GI} E*A*G*L*E

Last edit: by [*M]Comet.

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 8 months ago #278806

• GHOSTRIDER1
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Yippie Die Yo Yippie Die Yay
  • Thank you received: 1873
I don't know heff, it seems a pretty fair sampling, of the players that actually contribute to this game and are members of the community

I would like to see more of these little poles, because it seems that only the players the contribute, see them, read them, comment, and vote on them. It gives zup A more accurate representation of What customers want rather than the hordes the play this game for free

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 8 months ago #278808

• Red - Baron1
  • Je Vois Tout, You Will Fall
  • Thank you received: 78
I have tested the turn radius of PC player vs me (phone), came to the conclusion that if you fly in a straight turn (no tricks etc.) that their radius is the same, so thats a myth.
However, I also tested reaction time, and indeed the PC player reacts faster in which the problem arises: the phone player is charging after a decoy, and constantly behind the facts. This leaves everyone but the PC player horribly outclassed, as we cant make a defensive move to counter the PC players turn in time, which usually results in a severe case of death...
And about the issue that PC players aim slower due to their keys? Bullshit, a PC player can kill just as easy as a phone player, just takes practice as does aiming on tilt. Tilt users aren't all superb in their aim, heck I see tilt users aim way worse then a PC player more frequently...
Fyi zebra, I see you complain about head on, but I never see you in a bombing mission, and if I see you join 3 seconds later you've left already, why complain about something you don't experience?
I invite every PC player to experience tilt vs PC themselves, and believe me, you will be on our side of the argument too ;)

Furthermore; segegration isn't the obvious solution to me, adding a slight delay for the PC user would be the obvious solution here (maybe tweak it a little downwards so that we can pay them back for a while :evil: :whistle: ). I like playing PC players, they are good guys with a good chat every game, would be a pity to miss them ingame, however the advandage wouldn't be missed.

My judgement on this matter? Seperate

Why? zuperman is clearly not able to fix it another way than this, so I'm ok with that. And PC users can install this app on their phone/tablet too, which would make them even to us again, easy fix. If they can tell us to go and play on PC, why can't we tell them to go and play on phone? :)

See, problem solved! Easy, isn't it?

Hope to catch you ingame as tilt users!!

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 8 months ago #278838

• MICHAEL KANE..
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1336
I think its a small return of votes but important ones, it gives a representational view of regular players viewpoints. The way im understanding it all platforms on df1, different platforms df2, so there is a choice to play either.The fact that many people havent voted speaks volumes, we do live in slightly apathetic world, where its sometimes easier not to do something and let things carry on the same way, thats the beauty of voting its a voice.I get as much fun with reading peoples comments as I do flying with them, long may it continue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]VonHuLK, Acegirl

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 8 months ago #278842

• darraxx
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

[AOV] Red-Baron1 wrote: I have tested the turn radius of PC player vs me (phone), came to the conclusion that if you fly in a straight turn (no tricks etc.) that their radius is the same, so thats a myth.
However, I also tested reaction time, and indeed the PC player reacts faster in which the problem arises: the phone player is charging after a decoy, and constantly behind the facts. This leaves everyone but the PC player horribly outclassed, as we cant make a defensive move to counter the PC players turn in time, which usually results in a severe case of death...
And about the issue that PC players aim slower due to their keys? Bullshit, a PC player can kill just as easy as a phone player, just takes practice as does aiming on tilt. Tilt users aren't all superb in their aim, heck I see tilt users aim way worse then a PC player more frequently...
Fyi zebra, I see you complain about head on, but I never see you in a bombing mission, and if I see you join 3 seconds later you've left already, why complain about something you don't experience?
I invite every PC player to experience tilt vs PC themselves, and believe me, you will be on our side of the argument too ;)

Furthermore; segegration isn't the obvious solution to me, adding a slight delay for the PC user would be the obvious solution here (maybe tweak it a little downwards so that we can pay them back for a while :evil: :whistle: ). I like playing PC players, they are good guys with a good chat every game, would be a pity to miss them ingame, however the advandage wouldn't be missed.

Why? zuperman is clearly not able to fix it another way than this, so I'm ok with that. And PC users can install this app on their phone/tablet too, which would make them even to us again, easy fix. If they can tell us to go and play on PC, why can't we tell them to go and play on phone? :)

There was an update long ago that made us all equal. We all had the exact same response time for turning climbing and so forth .but there were some pc players the kept posting they couldn't turn when in fact they could turn just not like they wanted to they didn't like being equal to the phone guys
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasonmc, GHOSTRIDER1, [*M]VonHuLK

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 8 months ago #278861

• Jasonmc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 804

darraxx wrote:

[AOV] Red-Baron1 wrote: I have tested the turn radius of PC player vs me (phone), came to the conclusion that if you fly in a straight turn (no tricks etc.) that their radius is the same, so thats a myth.

There was an update long ago that made us all equal. We all had the exact same response time for turning climbing and so forth .but there were some pc players the kept posting they couldn't turn when in fact they could turn just not like they wanted to they didn't like being equal to the phone guys

Yep I remember it well. Most of them said their where going to quit unless it was put back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gizmo., [*M]VonHuLK, #1 GHOST

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 8 months ago #278888

• Longrifle
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The PC has nothing to do with it; I have a top of the line gaming laptop and instlalled the game and selected titl, and had the same results as ipad and phone.

The problem isn't turn radius, it's applied turn radius. I go to turn and my stupid flaps never get to 100% unless I hold the device behind my head or put it through my legs and try to touch my.. well, you know where this is going. The practical effect of too much travel in the tilt control is that you are turning wider because you don't get 100%, versus a keyboard (possibly a controller too, I never found one to test against) that turns it's flaps 100% when called.

If it was just a "how fast you get to 100% problem, the PC guy would pass you and jump out in the lead around the circle, but you would even out and he would be one quarter off your six instead of half a turn off your six. Even speed aircraft with the same applied turning radius is a flat turn will never catch each other. That is what the game is calling for, but with the tilt the way it is , with no fancy moves or pilot skill involved a keyboard catches a tilt in two and a half turns, every time. Can you juke and roll, etc? Yes, but practically it's like you are fighting one class of aircraft down, possibly two. That could be fun, but post update it's simply a death sentence and doesn;t produce loyaly to the subscription based system.

Also, being told your experiments are not valid and your complaint has no merit is annoying as well, and I see no attemp to undertand the half a dozen veterans who are trying to explain the problem.

I get the keyboard steadiness problem, it's a slam the accelerator/slam the brakes solution to try and move slightly, incrementally, on target. I'm all for fixing that too.

Level playing field, if that is what the goal is (video game equality), or unlevel palying field by differentiated aircraft (allied/central powers aircraft made different on purpose, historical parity).

No one is saying PC players are ruining the game, and if they are they are not representative, what we are campaigning for is a fix for our platform for parity.
This Gun's For Hire

The following user(s) said Thank You: [*M]VonHuLK

Last edit: by Longrifle.

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 8 months ago #278889

• Mongo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fly like its stolen shoot like you mean to keep it
  • Thank you received: 6558

Longrifle wrote: The PC has nothing to do with it; I have a top of the line gaming laptop and instlalled the game and selected titl, and had the same results as ipad and phone.

The problem isn't turn radius, it's applied turn radius. I go to turn and my stupid flaps never get to 100% unless I hold the device behind my head or put it through my legs and try to touch my.. well, you know where this is going. The practical effect of too much travel in the tilt control is that you are turning wider because you don't get 100%, versus a keyboard (possibly a controller too, I never found one to test against) that turns it's flaps 100% when called.

If it was just a "how fast you get to 100% problem, the PC guy would pass you and jump out in the lead around the circle, but you would even out and he would be one quarter off your six instead of half a turn off your six. Even speed aircraft with the same applied turning radius is a flat turn will never catch each other. That is what the game is calling for, but with the tilt the way it is , with no fancy moves or pilot skill involved a keyboard catches a tilt in two and a half turns, every time. Can you juke and roll, etc? Yes, but practically it's like you are fighting one class of aircraft down, possibly two. That could be fun, but post update it's simply a death sentence and doesn;t produce loyaly to the subscription based system.

Also, being told your experiments are not valid and your complaint has no merit is annoying as well, and I see no attemp to undertand the half a dozen veterans who are trying to explain the problem.

I get the keyboard steadiness problem, it's a slam the accelerator/slam the brakes solution to try and move slightly, incrementally, on target. I'm all for fixing that too.

Level playing field, if that is what the goal is (video game equality), or unlevel palying field by differentiated aircraft (allied/central powers aircraft made different on purpose, historical parity).

No one is saying PC players are ruining the game, and if they are they are not representative, what we are campaigning for is a fix for our platform for parity.

I always enjoy reading your well reasoned posts. You should post more of them.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction
(.Y.)

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 8 months ago #278897

• ZebraUp
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Flying & Fighting with STYLE!
  • Thank you received: 4244

[AOV] Red-Baron1 wrote: Fyi zebra, I see you complain about head on, but I never see you in a bombing mission, and if I see you join 3 seconds later you've left already, why complain about something you don't experience?

Actually Red-Baron1 I usually play at least 1 bombing mission daily. I just avoid them if at all possible unless there is a Lafayette pilot in there as blue when I spawn in.. then I stay.. otherwise I find them boring.. unless tactics are involved.
& I wasn't "complaining" about head on.. I was just pointing out that arrow keys aren't as quick on target nor as precise as tilt.. so if we were to "complain" it just makes the arguments from either side about equal.. but you don't see PC users complaining about it.. we just play.. not whine.

[AOV] Red-Baron1 wrote: I invite every PC player to experience tilt vs PC themselves, and believe me, you will be on our side of the argument too ;)

I have played many times using my friend's tablet when over at his house trying to interest him in the game & teach him how to play.. and I am just as deadly using his tablet.. and while flying his freebie planes no less. My serious downfall is in landing with it.. but that would be something I would get better at with time I'm sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl

Last edit: by ZebraUp.

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 8 months ago #278903

• Jasonmc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 804
Two types of windows players idiots and assholes. An idiot is to dumb to know he has an advantage. An asshole know he has an advantage and refuses to admit it, one because he doesn't want to admit he's not gods gift to this game or two because he doesn't want to give up his advantage.

Now that I've spoke my my mind I'm off maybe I will come back in another 6 months but probably not

Split Windows players from everyone else? 8 years 8 months ago #278907

• [M]ad
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3321

Jasonmc wrote: Two types of windows players idiots and assholes. An idiot is to dumb to know he has an advantage. An asshole know he has an advantage and refuses to admit it, one because he doesn't want to admit he's not gods gift to this game or two because he doesn't want to give up his advantage.

Now that I've spoke my my mind I'm off maybe I will come back in another 6 months but probably not

:whistle:

Time to create page: 0.766 seconds