TOPIC:

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322045

• Cush62
  • Cush62's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Can't died...i buried him next to don't want too
  • Thank you received: 820
some drop to destroy/some drop to deploy/ most drop to annoy/some drop to turnfight/while others drop out of fright/the button is there/its tempting i swear/but then i consider the fray/and who i will be today/and the choices i make/what will come from its wake/so i hold my bomb tight with honor and pride/and usually get shot right up the backside/but at the end of the day it will be a fact/that my honor and integrity will still be in tact.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gizmo., [NLR] McFate, [*M] GAW, Viper10{WP}, BLACKHAWKGHOST, KimberWolf {WP}, nebular, D93 Big Gunzzz, Cypher7{WP}, [M] Lt. Dan in house

Please Log in to join the conversation.

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322050

• Husky Dog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3536
Copy pasta from the Blacklist thread re the post you were responding to. (Yes, I know you quoted Dog but he was responding to me)

I heard through the grapevine that 3rdMed was calling me a dropper last night, so I decided to come clean.

This is hard for me to admit, but... it's true! OK?! IT'S TRUE! I spawned into a BTC game last night, and there was 3rd, on the hill and within shelling distance of the carrier. I was so scared that I tried to drop a bomb on him and MISSED! I flew around and managed to drop one on his nose. It was so gratifying. Something visceral about it. I wanted MORE! As I landed on the carrier to reload, 3rd starts calling me a dropper. I was so ashamed. What have I done? How could I be so callous and mean? Surely he was on that hill for a picnic, or maybe just to watch the sunset. Why would I think he was there to harm me, and why would I take such terrible action against him.

Anyway, with tears welling up in my eyes, I take off and head towards the red carrier. I don't know how I managed to shoot those planes down and make it all the way to the red carrier considering the frightful state I was in, but somehow I did. And when I got there... well, I'm sorry to say, but I DID IT AGAIN!!! I dropped BOTH of my bombs right on the carrier deck. And what's worse? I STILL wanted more! I wanted eight bombs! I wanted to see that carrier blown to smithereens! Alas, I only had two, so I headed back to my carrier, ashamed at what I had done.

Unfortunately, the red team was much more honorable than me and they held on to their bombs while Flatline shelled their carrier and ended the game.

I'm so sorry, 3rd. My impulse control is terrible, but I make you this promise. In the future I will do my best to hold on to my bombs and just fly around for your amusement. Double pinky swear.

I shall not go on to the end. I shall not fight in France, I shall not fight on the seas and oceans, I shall not fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, I shall not defend my carrier, whatever the cost may be. I shall hold on to my bombs on the beaches, I shall hold on to my bombs on the landing grounds, I shall hold on to my bombs in the fields and in the streets, I shall hold on to my bombs in the hills; I shall always surrender.

To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into thy bosom’s core
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, Gannet, Viper10{WP}, Roamer{W.P***}, Cush62

Last edit: by Husky Dog.

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322054

• Husky Dog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3536
So that post is all tongue in cheek, but let me make my point clear. 'Droppers' drop their bombs to pad their stats with kills. That is not what I did, and I particularly resent being called a cheat (aka a 'dropper'). Bombs are there for one purpose. To kill the enemy. Doesn't matter if it's a tank, a chute... Heck, if you're good enough another plane! That is their purpose!

To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into thy bosom’s core
The following user(s) said Thank You: KimberWolf {WP}, Roamer{W.P***}

Last edit: by Husky Dog.

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322055

• Cypher7{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 4939
I agree husky. If you kill something with bomb good on ya.

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322057

• {G.I}DAMAGEinc
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Rip and Tear!
  • Thank you received: 98
I only drop 1 bomb out of 2 depending on the war situation, I do it all the time when I go up against high players (Evading bullets/turnfighting) I usually don't if I'm up against younger players. Again it depends on the situation. I also like to bomb tanks if I get a chance, if I waste all of them, I return to base to refuel, but I'll fight to death if I'm surrounded lol, and the only time I drop 2 is when I'm alone, or if I see enemy planes approaching the base. Thats just me though if you wanted input
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roamer{W.P***}, Cypher7{WP}

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322059

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5398

[NLR] McFate wrote: To camp, or not to camp: that is the question:

Whether ’tis nobler after bombing to turn tail,
To flee the pursuit of outraged defenders,
Or to take arms against a sea of reds!
And by opposing end them? To stay; to kill?
To compliment my approaching team,
Or should teammate bombers face reds alone,
To die at the last hill with bomb still clutched,
Devoutly wish’d to have been delivered
While my potential aid denied? There’s the rub;

For in hasty retreat what good did come?
When I left, my team abandoned to their toil;
Must give me pause: Where’s the respect?
Why should I seek of so long life;
For would I then bomb red's hangars in time?
Is it wrong, the proud man’s retreat?

But for the pangs of reds despise, taunts of dishonor,
The insolence of accusations and the spurns
A patient response, unworthy of my thought.
While red himself should hold his tongue.
Lest I remove it at spawn with a bare bodkin!

To grunt and sweat through a weary flight,
Only to dread of something besides my death;
The scorn of players, fair though their cause,
Doth confine the scope of worthy play
Makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than to fly as best we all might strive.
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus with grim hue of resolution
Is sicklied o’er with the pale cast of thought,
'tis bane to inspired gamers play.

With this regard my interests turn away,
From former restrictions of game play past.
Now to the sky as Pheonix reborn!
Beware all reds! My conflict is gone!

:evil:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Husky Dog, Cush62

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322067

• Viper10{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Tip of the spear
  • Thank you received: 7914

The hill is my guide. If reds have breached the hill and are on final to their targets I will drop 2 and defend those hangars/carrier with everything I have. Once the threat is eliminated I will rearm. Be warned, I play that way.

A particular game comes to mind when the reds were coming in staggered and I was clinging to 2-3 hangars, making the rearm process take longer than I would like. I repeatedly needed to scramble and deal with the incoming bombers before my plane was rearmed, making myself look like the dreaded dropper we have all heard of and scorned. It got to the point where an opposing MORAF announced that since I was a dropper he would no longer carry any bombs so he could come and camp and spawnkill me. Suffice it to say it didn't end well for either of us, because though I was carrying 2, I had to drop them once he looped (Yes, one of those loop-de-loop flyers with no evasive skills) past me. The resulting turn fights were fairly even in the total of kills to deaths for the both of us. I likely made an enemy that day but you know what? I cannot for the life of me remember this players name. You know what else? I haven't changed tactics... the hill is still my guide.

United We Prowl/Together We Howl
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, KimberWolf {WP}, Roamer{W.P***}, pmoon1{WP}, Cypher7{WP}, Cush62

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322071

• D93 Big Gunzzz
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2164
So here I am a noob where bombing a hanger is a rarity. Giving it all I got on a bomb run in a btb game I take down a spawning plane. Only one more plane to go and the hanger's mine. The sucker takes off high and I am happy as can be to fly under him and grin like a happy camper knowing that hanger will burn.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

That son of a gun took a poop on my head and bombed my azz. Lol...my freakin jaw dropped :ohmy:

First thing out of my mouth was "WOW!!! That was awesome!".

I love that player whoever it was. Taught me the best move in DF.

So players beware...fly under my belly and I will spill my guts.

Just as I did when it happened to me, the best thing about this bomb dropping is the reaction of the one getting killed. Everone is always a good sport about it and gets a great laugh from it.

BOMBS AWAY!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, [*M] GAW, Acegirl, Roamer{W.P***}, Cypher7{WP}, Cush62

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322073

• Acegirl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • i'm not bad. i'm just drawn that way
  • Thank you received: 9804

The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, Roamer{W.P***}, D93 Big Gunzzz, Gustavo fire, StarsandBars

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322091

• S. E. Dailey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • fortis Fortūna adiuvat
  • Thank you received: 864

Someone took my chute out with a bomb yesterday, I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but man that was awesome! :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl, D93 Big Gunzzz

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322098

• Pistolfuddyduddy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • YEP
  • Thank you received: 913
What a cool, cool thread....

Husky had me laughing so hard I woke the wife up.. Tried to read her mcfate's take on the Bard, but guess she wasn't in the mood.. Their are times.. The middle of an attack ya think? When bombing is nifty keen.. Most other times it's just wrong..

But were it not for the bombing we wouldn't have the thread, so...

Now.. I'd like you all to sing along with me.. The beach boys "Barbra Ann" .... Here goes.. "Bomb, bomb bomb, BOMB IRANNN..
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, Acegirl, TX Constable{WP}, Roamer{W.P***}, Husky Dog, Lêgïøñz, Cush62, S. E. Dailey

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322112

• Templar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 331
It's my bomb,I earned it and so I'll do whatever i want with it.But anyone who knows me knows I rarely drop,even in a turn fight I'll try to keep the bomb. Can't debate that. Most of the time if theres a problem it's with the player "trying" to call out the dropper. They get annoyed or whatever then everyone looks at who hes calling out like they did something bad...lol.it's ridiculous endless meaningless opinionated debate,if there is such a thing. It's a war strategy,use it and don't listen to the whiners and always counter droppers if it bothers you instead of pointing fingers...
More action less talk.
My 2 cents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cricket, [NLR] McFate, Acegirl, Roamer{W.P***}, D93 Big Gunzzz, Lêgïøñz, Cush62, S. E. Dailey

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322113

• S. E. Dailey
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • fortis Fortūna adiuvat
  • Thank you received: 864

Like Templar, I tend to hang on to my bomb, even in situations where most would have already "legally" dropped. It doesn't matter; when the KDR junkies drop, come camping in their tier 7s, and I have the audacity to not loose a turn fight . . . they call me a dropper. :lol:

Other than hangars, carriers, and the occasional tank, the majority of my bombs usually get dropped because I messed up trying to chat and fly at the same time. :blush:

I'm sure I didn't invent the "txt-drop", but I'm doing my best to prefect it. :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, Templar, Acegirl, Roamer{W.P***}, Cush62

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322151

• pmoon1{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 851
This IS a cool thread! Hardly dare to post with so many literary types about! :P

What doesn't kill you can hurt like the dickens!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl, Roamer{W.P***}, S. E. Dailey

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322203

• KimberWolf {WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 728

Husky Dog wrote: So that post is all tongue in cheek, but let me make my point clear. 'Droppers' drop their bombs to pad their stats with kills. That is not what I did, and I particularly resent being called a cheat (aka a 'dropper'). Bombs are there for one purpose. To kill the enemy. Doesn't matter if it's a tank, a chute... Heck, if you're good enough another plane! That is their purpose!

Husky you didn't even need to explain yourself.
Those of us who have flown with you, know that you are not a dropper.

"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack" - Rudyard Kipling

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322239

• Lêgïøñz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • jon
  • Thank you received: 649
So use of my only bomb , I don't see the point of calling players dropped most will deny . But I will only drop on a boat
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roamer{W.P***}

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322240

• Fallen [M]isfits
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • i dont play nice ..with others...100 % Misfit
  • Thank you received: 1955
I never drop ....even when defendin my base...as if beat them ..I can go for there base.....yes it gets me killed lot ..when facin gud players ..but it way I play :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roamer{W.P***}, EgorDogg{WP}, Lêgïøñz, S. E. Dailey

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322242

• Gannet
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 4438
This debate has being go since dogfight began.
Problem is we have players of many different types, all of whom think the game should be played the way they see it.
Some want to play head on shoot'em up, some want to introduce subtle tactics that may not win battles, but win the war. And when someone else plays to a different tune, they throw their toys out of the cot.

Actually, playing the game anyway the game allows you to is a valid way to play. If Zup allows it to happen, then its legal play.

So "to drop" ? There is no fixed rule. It depends...

Face it, War is not fair, life is not fair. The game is not fair, it's not suppose to be. (If it was perfectly fair, you would be playing against people of equal abilities, and no one would ever win.)
That's where the fun is, trying to overcome when its unfair against you.

So if a red drops at a time you don't think they should, Don't complain, just come up with a strategy to deal with it. That's the MOST fun.

Most conflicts seem to occur in bombing missions. I sometimes wonder whether it would be better if there were no kills and deaths recorded in bombing missions, just team points at the end according to how many hangers the team got. After all, that's what the aim of that game is, not to increase individuals K/D ratios. Then we would get lots of interesting stratagies....Teams playing as fighters and bombers, players acting as red herrings, sneaking defended by a base patrol flyer... and so on...
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, Templar, Acegirl, Roamer{W.P***}, S. E. Dailey

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322243

• Fallen [M]isfits
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • i dont play nice ..with others...100 % Misfit
  • Thank you received: 1955
yes but many a player ...will drop ....fly to enemy base an csmp ...just shoot u down as soon u off the ground ...if they don't want to play bomb games ...there lots turnfight games ....I not gud at head on or when carry bombs...but wen in that game I always carry an play best I can ...carryin 2 bombs ...so can try an get hangers.....but lot games ruined by people paddin there stats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper10{WP}, Roamer{W.P***}

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322252

• Templar
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 331

Gannet wrote: This debate has being go since dogfight began.
Problem is we have players of many different types, all of whom think the game should be played the way they see it.
Some want to play head on shoot'em up, some want to introduce subtle tactics that may not win battles, but win the war. And when someone else plays to a different tune, they throw their toys out of the cot.

Actually, playing the game anyway the game allows you to is a valid way to play. If Zup allows it to happen, then its legal play.

So "to drop" ? There is no fixed rule. It depends...

Face it, War is not fair, life is not fair. The game is not fair, it's not suppose to be. (If it was perfectly fair, you would be playing against people of equal abilities, and no one would ever win.)
That's where the fun is, trying to overcome when its unfair against you.

So if a red drops at a time you don't think they should, Don't complain, just come up with a strategy to deal with it. That's the MOST fun.

Most conflicts seem to occur in bombing missions. I sometimes wonder whether it would be better if there were no kills and deaths recorded in bombing missions, just team points at the end according to how many hangers the team got. After all, that's what the aim of that game is, not to increase individuals K/D ratios. Then we would get lots of interesting stratagies....Teams playing as fighters and bombers, players acting as red herrings, sneaking defended by a base patrol flyer... and so on...

Good stuff Gannet!well said..I had the idea about a btb game with no kills like you mentioned,just see who can bomb bases the fastest...,it would be fun but would require some commitment etc...from some players. maybe I'll start a thread to gather interest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, Roamer{W.P***}, S. E. Dailey

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322443

• may day
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 715
I told myself " self maybe I should stay out of this conversation ". But in this topic I will speak what's on my mind. To make the argument that if the game allows it it's ok . That is just a bunch of bull crap.Tank glitches spawn killing and camping is allowed by the game so zup must think that's ok to right. Hell why not tank up right at the enemy runway and blast respawning planes on takeoff that must be ok with zup right ? Bull shet bull shet. There are a some spineless players that drop both bombs on takeoff in order to pad their KD numbers. These pilots are no different than campers spawnkillers. They are in fact cheaters who will not fight head on but instead chose to fight like spineless cowards. Now I think viper said it best when he uses the first hill as a guideline. Or if you have planes beyond that first hill about to overrun your base by all means drop. If you watch the top most respected pilots in DF and we all know who they are they play fair and will all fight you headon. Now if a tank is shelling your carrier or hangers by all means drop your bomb on it there is nothing wrong with that. However we do get those cowards that take dropping to anether level. A lower skilled spineless piece of crap that would use any glitch or low life tactic in order to pad their KDR. That's my thoughts on this subject like it or not.

YOGY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viper10{WP}, KimberWolf {WP}

To drop or not to drop 8 years 1 month ago #322449

• D93 Big Gunzzz
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2164

S. E. Dailey wrote: Someone took my chute out with a bomb yesterday, I can't for the life of me remember who it was, but man that was awesome! :lol:

Wasn't me :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl, S. E. Dailey

To drop or not to drop 8 years 4 weeks ago #322593

• Gannet
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That is one mean looking penguin Yoga. Nice Avitar. :)
You are right Yoga, the game is totally unfair, and those who really annoy me are those highly "skilled spineless piece of crap" that use their better eyesight and faster reaction times to continually shoot down this grey haired geriatric old bird down, instead of treating him with the respect befitting his age. They are "no different than campers spawnkillers" ;)
Seriously though, as I posted before, some want to play the game one way, some another.
This debate got so hot a little while back that whenever I entered a game I would first text "So.. what rules are we playing to?"
Maybe McFates idea in the other post is the answer. Two types of server. One where we play to "Queensberry rules" (substitute in the name of legendary dogfighter) and the other "Street fighting" where anything goes..
Incidentally, I think you will find most of the "top most respected pilots in DF" got to the top because they are head on fighters. They get more kills (and deaths) per hour that way, which puts them at the top. Does that make head on fighting therefore a more honourable "tactic in order to pad their KDR" ? ;)

To drop or not to drop 8 years 4 weeks ago #322613

• may day
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Gannett
Well excuse me for not letting grandpa cheat. Heck if I knew you were that old and blind I would just let you shoot me down bomb my hangers. Yes it's another way to play it's called cheating gramps. So the next time we meet in a game I will just go ahead and let you drop shoot me down. If that's what gives you a rise go for it because granny surely wouldn't want you cheating. Hell perhaps maybe just chug some geritol go to the local bingo hall and pick up some sleazy old bag and have your way.Maybe after grandma puts her foot in your old fable azz you will wise up.
Sincerely

YOGY

Stop calling me yoga
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cypher7{WP}

Last edit: by may day.

To drop or not to drop 8 years 4 weeks ago #322627

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5398
If it was truly "cheating" it would be a very easy problem for the game designer to solve. All he would need to do is make it so planes fly the same with or without bombs. But no...for some reason it is part of the design and not a glitch. Cheating? Bah.
;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl

To drop or not to drop 8 years 4 weeks ago #322630

• 111th|Royal Flush
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Play your cards, show us what you've got...
  • Thank you received: 590

[NLR] McFate wrote: If it was truly "cheating" it would be a very easy problem for the game designer to solve. All he would need to do is make it so planes fly the same with or without bombs. But no...for some reason it is part of the design and not a glitch. Cheating? Bah.
;)

Fate, i think you just managed to solve this issue in two sentences... Bravo!
The following user(s) said Thank You: TX Constable{WP}

To drop or not to drop 8 years 4 weeks ago #322634

• TX Constable{WP}
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 324

I am like viper I will drop at base to protect it. I will drop on tanks to protect base. I know it should not matter there are plenty of games that do not require bombs. If someone drops just to pad stats I do it like that. Or camps I do not like that. That's my 2 cents

To drop or not to drop 8 years 4 weeks ago #322641

• Gannet
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hah! Sorry Yogy , that was my bad, not deliberate. I was typing on the commuter train...Blame it on my tri-focals. :)

As to the rest of your comment, I really don't mind, who does what. As I said originally, its the unfairness that makes it all a challenge, otherwise it would be a pretty boring shoot'em up game.

So shoot me up as often as you can. However to kill me you'll have to find me. Somewhere on the edge of the game feeling my way around the walls to your base. (flying by braille) ;)

(Sneaking? No Never!! Someone might complain.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl, Lêgïøñz

Last edit: by Gannet.

To drop or not to drop 8 years 4 weeks ago #322643

• may day
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Mcfate Well excuse me Mr.Design expert. Why design a game where one can camp,drop,spawnkill and use a tank glitch for some unknown reason. It is all part of the game it it is all cheating. Cheating in its purest form. Pilots should expect all opponents to play fairly it's called honor. When I go up against superior opponents I will take my azz whipping and still have fun in doing so because I know they have no tactical advantage.

Yogy

Last edit: by may day.

To drop or not to drop 8 years 4 weeks ago #322646

• may day
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
No hard feelings gramps. This is just a very controversial topic one in which I have very strong feelings about. We are just on opposite sides. I guess sometimes I get worked up and say things that I shouldn't. I would like to apologize for that whole bingo hall thing.

YOGY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl

• Page:
Moderators: Digger {WP}DireWolf{WP}
Time to create page: 0.791 seconds