The Foreign Legion
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dogfight 5 years 2 weeks ago #376907

• Acegirl
  • Acegirl's Avatar Topic Author
  • i'm not bad. i'm just drawn that way
  • Thank you received: 9806
A dogfight, or dog fight, is an aerial battle between fighter aircraft, conducted at close range. Dogfighting first occurred in Mexico in 1913, shortly after the invention of the airplane. Until at least 1992, it was a component in every major war, despite beliefs after World War II that increasingly greater speeds and longer range weapons would make dogfighting obsolete.

A typical dogfight is described by an unnamed pilot,
Pulling up into his blind spot I watched his plane grow larger and larger in my sight. But this German pilot was not content to fly straight and level. Before I could open fire, his plane slewed to the right, and seeing me on his tail, he jerked back on the stick into the only defensive maneuver his plane could make. I banked my 47 over to the right and pulled back on the stick, striving to get him once more into my ring sight. The violent maneuver applied terrific G’s to my body, and I started to black out as the blood rushed from my head. Fighting every second to overcome this blackness about me, I pulled back on the stick, further and further, so that the enemy would just show at the bottom of my ring sight to allow for the correct deflection.

We were both flying in a tight circle. Just a little more and I’ll have him. Pressing the [trigger] I waited expectantly for the 109 to explode. I’ve hit his wing. A section two-feet long broke loose from the right wing as the machine gun cut like a machete through it. Too low, a little more rudder and the bullets will find his cockpit. I could see occasional strikes further up the wing, but it was too late. The 109, sensing that I was inside him on the turn, slunk into a nearby cloud. Straightening my plane, I climbed over the top of the bank, and poised on the other side, waiting for him to appear. But the 109 did not appear, and not wishing to tempt the gods of fate further, I pushed my stick forward, entered the protective cover of the clouds, and headed home.
It is great that every player has its own and unlike style of play; the dogfight as you can read and watch in the video consists of turning maneuvers and aerial combat at close range. Some have a misconception that dogfight consist of the exclusive head on shooting from a distance. They say that shooting a plane from behind or from the back is wrong or a cowardly act. So, all the great ace pilots of WW1, WW2 and other modern-day air combat are cowards? Nop!

History teaches us valuable lessons and educates; so that we can understand our misconceptions. I respect and understand the fun of head on shooting but to me it’s more like if you were playing “Space Invaders”. If you take the time and watch this historical video, you can maybe understand and appreciate the thrill of the dogfight. Love the action of the chase. The dodging and trying to outmaneuver different planes at the same time; everyone chasing after each other to try and survive. The one bomb. 4 bomb or no bomb issue in a dogfight you do anything to survive even shoot a pistol or throw a shoe if you have too. There were planes with specific assignments; scouts, bombers and fighters. But the ACE was the one that got to dogfight.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gizmo., darraxx, Mongo, £eaf, R E Z, Gannet, Alex Galt, Cush62, Pegoud, Magnus Canneb and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Acegirl.

Dogfight 5 years 1 week ago #376921

• Acegirl
  • Acegirl's Avatar Topic Author
  • i'm not bad. i'm just drawn that way
  • Thank you received: 9806
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mongo, Magnus Canneb, Smoke Screen

Dogfight 5 years 1 week ago #376976

• £eaf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Let's spread the light of happiness and joyness!
  • Thank you received: 163
In near future, the world is heading away from traditional dogfight due to incumbent of beyond-visual-range missile (BVR) that could engage the target without any head-head or head-tail fight. Can zuperman add this functionality in Siemen...LOL, it would be a nice addition :P
Fly with Honor | Never Give Up

The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl

Last edit: by £eaf.

Dogfight 5 years 1 week ago #377001

• Smoke Screen
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 249
LOL

Dogfight 5 years 2 days ago #377037

• £eaf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
By the way, there should be a functionality that we can exchange the plane during war or could steal the opponent jet / tank.... Zuperman should introduce the knife as well beside rifle... or something like sword, it would be a nice fun

The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl, Pegoud, Smoke Screen

Dogfight 5 years 2 days ago #377038

• Viper10{WP}
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Tip of the spear
  • Thank you received: 7914

£eaf wrote: By the way, there should be a functionality that we can exchange the plane during war or could steal the opponent jet / tank.... Zuperman should introduce the knife as well beside rifle... or something like sword, it would be a nice fun

No, you cannot take my jet! B)

United We Prowl/Together We Howl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl, Alex Galt, Pegoud

Dogfight 4 years 11 months ago #377074

• Smoke Screen
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 249
temporarily Highjacking should be allowed LOL

Dogfight 4 years 11 months ago #377076

• £eaf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
My jet is too slow... And it will take a lot of time to upgrade it. By the way, if we could fly the opponent jet or team jet, or some sort of exchange during war...it would be nice and more fun...Like throwing the pilot out of the jet and stealing it... lol

The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl, Viper10{WP}, Smoke Screen

Dogfight 4 years 11 months ago #377077

• £eaf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Lol how we can highjack it when there is not hostage? And what should be the bargaining point?

Dogfight 4 years 11 months ago #377350

• Alex Galt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3775
Leaf have you heard don't bring a knife to a gun fight lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pegoud

• Page:
Moderators: Acegirlcon estiloD93 Big GunzzzairwolffE.....Z...Pegoud