Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threads that are just too cool to even have to search for them. RULE: you can't create a thread in here, a moderator has to move it from any other location.

TOPIC:

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 1 month ago #325913

• WB|War hawk1-5
  • WB|War hawk1-5's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1709
The Zimmermann Telegram (or Zimmermann Note) was an internal diplomatic communication issued from the German Foreign Office in January, 1917 that proposed a military alliance between Germany and Mexico in the event of the United States' entering World War I against Germany. The proposal was intercepted and decoded by British intelligence. Revelation of the contents enraged American public opinion and helped generate support for the United States declaration of war on Germany in April of the same year.[1]

The message came in the form of a coded telegram dispatched by the Foreign Secretary of the German Empire, Arthur Zimmermann, on 11 January 1917. The message was sent to the German ambassador to Mexico, Heinrich von Eckardt. Zimmermann sent the telegram in anticipation of the resumption of unrestricted submarine warfare by Germany on 1 February, an act the German government presumed would almost certainly lead to war with the United States. The telegram instructed Ambassador Eckardt that if the United States appeared certain to enter the war, he was to approach the Mexican Government with a proposal for military alliance with funding from Germany.

The decoded telegram is as follows:

"We intend to begin on the first of February unrestricted submarine warfare. We shall endeavor in spite of this to keep the United States of America neutral. In the event of this not succeeding, we make Mexico a proposal of alliance on the following basis: make war together, make peace together, generous financial support and an understanding on our part that Mexico is to reconquer the lost territory in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. The settlement in detail is left to you. You will inform the President of the above most secretly as soon as the outbreak of war with the United States of America is certain and add the suggestion that he should, on his own initiative, invite Japan to immediate adherence and at the same time mediate between Japan and ourselves. Please call the President's attention to the fact that the ruthless employment of our submarines now offers the prospect of compelling England in a few months to make peace." Signed, ZIMMERMANN
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, nebular, WB}Alexander Hamilton, Gustavo fire, Daniel Santana von Geltendorf, S. E. Dailey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 1 month ago #326031

• WB|Niels
  • Orange, ugh i love orange
  • Thank you received: 8
Also that the proposal wouldn't work because México was already in a war, having the United States as an ally against the Mexican revolutionary army of Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata. At this time, the young George Patton had the idea to mount a machine gun in a transporting vehicle, thus kicking out Pancho Villa of U.S territory.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, WB|War hawk1-5, nebular, WB}Alexander Hamilton, Gustavo fire, S. E. Dailey

Last edit: by WB|Niels.

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 3 weeks ago #327236

• WB|War hawk1-5
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
A team of miners worked in secret to dig tunnels under the trenches during the war in order to plant and detonate mines there. The detonations destroyed much of the German front line and were so great, the prime minister then heard the sound in London, 140 miles away.

In America, suspicion of the Germans was so high that even German shepherd dogs were killed. The names of frankfurters, hamburgers, sauerkraut and dachshunds were all changed to American names, German stopped being taught in schools and German-language books were banned. Before the war, it had been the second most widely spoken language in the US

Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife were assassinated on June 28th 1914, an event which led to the beginning of the war. Strangely, the Archduke’s number plate read: A 111 118, a series that can be read as, Armistice 11 November ‘18.

Many young men faked their age in order to sign up early. The youngest to do so was Sidney Lewis, who was only 12 years old at the time.

Inspired by the sight of soldiers’ faces ravaged by shrapnel, many of which remained covered by masks, Harold Gillies established the field of plastic surgery, pioneering the first attempts of facial reconstruction. As well as this, blood transfusions became routine to save soldiers, with the first blood bank established on the front line in 1917.

At the beginning of the war, tanks were grouped according to their ‘gender’. The male tanks had cannons attached while the females carried machine guns. The prototype tank was named Little Willie.

WWI saw many women join the working forces. Those who worked with TNT saw their skin turn yellow as a result, as they suffered from toxic jaundice.
www.history.co.uk/shows/the-world-wars/a...nown-facts-about-ww1
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, nightorado, nebular, WB}Alexander Hamilton, Gustavo fire, S. E. Dailey, [M] Lt. Dan in house, WB| Karl XII av Sverige

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 3 weeks ago #327475

• WB| Karl XII av Sverige
  • Carolus Rex, King of the Swedes
  • Thank you received: 19
Artillery barrage and mines created immense noise. In 1917, explosives blowing up beneath German lines on Messines Ridge at Ypres in Belgium could be heard in London 140 miles(220 Km)away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, WB|War hawk1-5, nightorado, nebular, Gustavo fire

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 3 weeks ago #327818

• WB|War hawk1-5
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Italian Front
Part of World War I
Italian front (World War I).jpg
From left to right: Ortles, autumn 1917; Fort Verena, June 1915; Mount Paterno, 1915; Carso, 1917; Toblach, 1915.
Date 23 May 1915 – 6 November 1918
(3 years, 5 months and 2 weeks)
Location Eastern Alps and Venetian Plain
Result Italian / Entente victory
Armistice of Villa Giusti
Collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire

The Italian Front (Italian: Fronte italiano; in German: Gebirgskrieg, "Mountain war") was a series of battles at the border between Austria-Hungary and Italy, fought between 1915 and 1918 in World War I. Following the secret promises made by the Allies in the Treaty of London, Italy entered the war in order to annex the Austrian Littoral and northern Dalmatia, and the territories of present-day Trentino and South Tyrol. Although Italy had hoped to gain the territories with a surprise offensive, the front soon bogged down into trench warfare, similar to the Western Front fought in France, but at high altitudes and with very cold winters. The front caused civil population to resettle and several thousands of them died in Italian and Austrian refugee camps of malnutrition and illness.[3] The Allied victory at Vittorio Veneto and the disintegration of Austria-Hungary ended the military operations.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Front_(World_War_I)
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, nightorado, nebular, Fallen [M]isfits, Gustavo fire, S. E. Dailey, WB| Karl XII av Sverige

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 3 weeks ago #327904

• WB| Karl XII av Sverige
  • Carolus Rex, King of the Swedes
  • Thank you received: 19
Prime Minister Hjalmar Hammarskjold of Sweden, pursued a policy of strict neutrality in the war, continuing trades with the German Empire and thus subjecting his country and people to the hardships wrought by the Allied naval blockade in the North Sea, in place from November 1914.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WB|War hawk1-5, nebular, Gustavo fire, S. E. Dailey

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 1 week ago #329479

• WB|War hawk1-5
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The height of the Jasta's power came during April 1917 at the Battle of Arras, better known as "Bloody April." The French air squadrons had withdrawn to recover from the previous months of battle, but England had decided to fight on despite delays in delivery of the next generation of fighters to the Front. The English believed that their sheer numerical superiority--385 fighters over the 114 German fighters--was enough to ensure victory. During that month, England lost a third of its fighter force, and the flying life expectancy of an English pilot was 17½ hours. The RFC suffered particularly severe losses - about three times as many as the Imperial German Army Air Service (Luftstreitkräfte) over the same period - but continued its primary role in support of the ground offensive.
The Battle of Arras
In April, the Allies launched a joint ground offensive, with the British attacking near Arras in Artois, northern France, while the French Nivelle Offensive was launched on the Aisne. Their air forces were called on to provide support, predominantly in reconnaissance and artillery spotting.
The Battle of Arras began on April 9, 1917. In support, the Royal Flying Corps deployed 25 squadrons, totalling 385 aircraft, about a third of which were fighters (or "scouts" as they were called at the time). There were initially only five German Jastas in the region, but this rose to eight as the battle progressed (some 114 or so operational fighter aircraft in total).
Since September 1916, the Germans had held the upper hand in the contest for air supremacy on the Western Front, with the Albatros D.II and D.III outclassing the British and French fighters charged with protecting the vulnerable Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2c, Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.2b and Sopwith 1½ Strutter 2-seater reconnaissance and bomber machines. The allied fighter squadrons were equipped with obsolete "pusher" planes such as the Airco DH.2 and Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.8, and other outclassed types such as the Nieuport 17. Only the SPAD S.VII, Sopwith Pup and Triplanecould compete on equal terms with the Albatros, but these were few in number and spread along the front. The new generation of Allied fighters were not yet ready for service, although No. 56 Squadron RFC with the Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5 was working up to operational status in France. The Bristol F2a also made its debut with No. 48 Squadron during April, but lost heavily on its very first patrol, with four out of six shot down in an encounter with five Albatros D.IIIs of Jasta 11, led by Manfred von Richthofen.
The Aftermath of "Bloody April"
During April 1917, the British lost 245 aircraft, 211 aircrew killed or missing and 108 as prisoners of war. The German Air Services lost 66 aircraft from all causes. As a comparison, in the five months of 1916's Battle of the Somme the RFC had suffered 576 casualties. Under Richthofen's leadership, Jasta 11 scored 89 victories during April, over a third of the British losses.
The month of April marked the low point for the Royal Flying Corps. However, despite the losses inflicted on the British, the German Air Service failed to stop the Royal Flying Corps from carrying out its prime objectives. The RFC continued to support the army throughout the Arras offensive with up-to-date aerial photographs, reconnaissance information and harassing bombing raids. In spite of their ascendency, the German Air Service did not act agressively. Acting on oreder from high command the German squadrons continued to be used defensively. Most of their missions were flying interception patrols behind their own lines. Thus the Jastas established "air superiority", but certainly did not achieve real air supremacy.
Summer 1917: The Tide of Furtune Turns

James McCudden
Born: March 28, 1895
Died: July 9, 1918
"Bloody April" forced the British to quickly revise its approach to aerial combat, as the Germans had done the year before. It had now been proven that well-trained pilots flying the best planes were much more important than mere numerical superiority. Britain rushed to organize pilot training schools with experienced veterans as instructors. The students were taught using James McCudden's Notes on Aeroplane Fighting in Single-Seated Scouts and Fighting in the Air. The Sopwith Camel had arrived earlier that year, but it was very difficult to fly and there had been a high number of fatal accidents. The new training schools allowed enough training time for pilots to become familiar with the planes before being thrust into the chaos of combat.
www.wwiaviation.com/Bloody_April-1917.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mongo, [NLR] The Blue Fighter, nebular, Jasta1, Husky Dog, Gustavo fire, Daniel Santana von Geltendorf, S. E. Dailey, WB| Karl XII av Sverige

Last edit: by WB|War hawk1-5.

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 4 days ago #329799

• TXLAWMAN
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Life is tough. It's tougher when you are stupid.
  • Thank you received: 3499

Today, the Red Baron got his 79th and 80th victories. He was killed the next day.

RIP CRAZYWOLF
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] The Blue Fighter, WB|War hawk1-5, nebular, Gustavo fire, S. E. Dailey, WB| Karl XII av Sverige

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 3 days ago #329862

• TXLAWMAN
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Life is tough. It's tougher when you are stupid.
  • Thank you received: 3499

And, Manfred von Richthofen died April 21, q
1918 at the age of 25.

RIP CRAZYWOLF
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mongo, [NLR] The Blue Fighter, WB|War hawk1-5, nebular, Jasta1, Gustavo fire, S. E. Dailey

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 9 hours ago #330167

• WB|War hawk1-5
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

TXLAWMAN wrote: And, Manfred von Richthofen died April 21, q
1918 at the age of 25.

His last words were ich bin kaput, i am finished

Daniel please keep your opinions to yourself.. This is a factual topic. Erase what you said or i will contact zuperman or jacob. I don't want that on my topic. Dankeschön.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mongo, Daniel Santana von Geltendorf

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 7 hours ago #330172

• Daniel Santana von Geltendorf
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Der Führer von der N.O.I.D.U.D.V.S.G.(P.)
  • Thank you received: 73

WB|War hawk1-5 wrote:

1918 at the age of 25.

Daniel please keep your opinions to yourself.. This is a factual topic. Erase what you said or i will contact zuperman or jacob. I don't want that on my topic. Dankeschön.

ok ok i will but wait so your saying i disrespect German pilot that is not possible, but i can keep the one about Japan right i mean i complimented a lamd,and what do you mean factual iv bin studying that for years now well not the Zimmermann telegram not that,if your American i did not mean to hurt anyones feelings
~Daniel Santana~

The following user(s) said Thank You: WB|War hawk1-5

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 7 hours ago #330173

• User is blocked
  • User is blocked

WB|War hawk1-5 wrote:

1918 at the age of 25.

oh,one more thing you know im a German,but i have some cuben in me too so i was wondering did cuba do anything in the first world war?
~Daniel Santana~

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 2 hours ago #330255

• WB|War hawk1-5
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Date Declarer On

December 16 Cuba Austria-Hungary

Resolved, that from today a state of war is formally declared between the Republic of Cuba and the Imperial Government of Germany, and the President of the Republic is authorized and directed by this resolution to employ all the forces of the nation and the resources of our Government to make war against the Imperial German Government with the object of maintaining our rights, guarding our territory and providing for our security, prevent any acts which may be attempted against us, and defend the navigation of the seas, the liberty of commerce, and the rights of neutrals and international justice.

Article II

The President of the Republic is hereby authorized to use all the land and naval forces in the form he may deem necessary, using existing forces, reorganizing them or creating new ones, and to dispose of the economic forces of the nation in any way he may deem necessary.

Article III

The President will give account to Congress of the measures adopted in fulfilment of this law, which will be in operation from the moment of its publication in the Official Gazette.

www.firstworldwar.com/source/cubandeclaration.htmSource: Source Records of the Great War, Vol. V, ed. Charles F. Horne, National Alumni 1923

/Still posting/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel Santana von Geltendorf, S. E. Dailey

Last edit: by WB|War hawk1-5.

Daily Facts about WW1 8 years 2 hours ago #330258

• User is blocked
  • User is blocked

WB|War hawk1-5 wrote: Date Declarer On

so cuba declared war on Austria.....why?
~Daniel Santana~

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #330278

• [NLR]Jacob10000
  • Thank you received: 1711

[Macht]Daniel Santana wrote:

Cuba also declared war on Germany on April 7 1917

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Participants_in_World_War_I
The following user(s) said Thank You: WB|War hawk1-5, Daniel Santana von Geltendorf, S. E. Dailey

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #330366

• User is blocked
  • User is blocked

[NLR]Jacob10000 wrote:

oooookkk......why?
~Daniel Santana~

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #330367

• User is blocked
  • User is blocked

WB| Karl XII of Sweden wrote: Look Daniel stop bothering with your Bavarian rubbish on threads that at least mention one German thing

im a German nationalist...Bavarians are very proud of the old kingdom.....sadly some so much that they whant Bavaria to break away from Germany, i dont in fact I'll never allow it.well unless there is no Germany or holy Roman empire,but there is Germany so Bavaria is going to stay with Germany for now at least..........
~Daniel Santana~

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #330370

• WB|War hawk1-5
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

[NLR]Jacob10000 wrote:

oooookkk......why?

From what ive read it seems they declared war because the U.S.A. Did
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel Santana von Geltendorf

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #330474

• User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I love this subject, thank you for making this
~Daniel Santana~

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #330475

• User is blocked
  • User is blocked
BTW there's a channel on YouTube called i think its called "The Great war" you know the talk about WWI, they also have more channels
~Daniel Santana~

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #330491

• Jasta1
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • To Hell and Back!
  • Thank you received: 1213
Daniel,
You cant tell Warhawk facts ,he already knows all about. ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: WB|War hawk1-5, Daniel Santana von Geltendorf

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #330493

• User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Jasta1 wrote: Daniel,
You cant tell Warhawk facts ,he already knows all about. ...

and boy does he know alot but no mater what WWI is still one of the lesser know wars, fact wise at least so there are many ideas behind what started it,but the killing of the arch duke started it for good which most (a lot)[of] people know
~Daniel Santana~

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #330494

• WB|War hawk1-5
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Many countries had made pacts with each other and alliances that made it where they would join the fight if a certain country attacked them. There were so many alliances made, that when franz ferdinand and the arc duchess were shot by princip's gang, it caused everyone to go to war with each other.

June 28th Francis Ferdinand assassinated at Sarajevo
  July 5th Kaiser William II promised German support for Austria against Serbia
  July 28th Austria declared war on Serbia
  August 1st Germany declared war on Russia
  August 3rd Germany declared war on France and invaded Belgium. Germany had to implement the Schlieffen Plan.
  August 4th Britain declared war on Germany
  August 23rd The BEF started its retreat from Mons. Germany invaded France.
  August 26th Russian army defeated at Tannenburg and Masurian Lakes.
  September 6th Battle of the Marne started
  October 18th First Battle of Ypres
  October 29th Turkey entered the war on Germany’s side. Trench warfare started to dominate the Western Front.
www.historylearningsite.co.uk/world-war-...ine-of-world-war-one
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, nightorado, Gustavo fire, Daniel Santana von Geltendorf, S. E. Dailey

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #330497

• User is blocked
  • User is blocked
WWI is one if not the most complicated and important wars ever.
~Daniel Santana~

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #330868

• nightorado
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1160
The Lost Battalion is the name given to nine companies of the United States 77th Division, roughly 554 men, isolated by German forces during World War I after an American attack in the Argonne Forest in October 1918. Roughly 197 were killed in action and approximately 150 missing or taken prisoner before 194 remaining men were rescued. They were led by Major Charles White Whittlesey. On 2 October, the division quickly advanced into the Argonne, under the belief that French forces were supporting the left flank and two American units including the 92nd Division were supporting the right flank.[1] Unknown to Whittlesey's unit, the French advance had been stalled. Without this knowledge, the Americans had moved beyond the rest of the Allied line and found themselves completely cut off and surrounded by German forces. For the next six days, suffering heavy losses, the men of the division were forced to fight off several attacks by the Germans, who saw the small American units as a threat to their whole line.

The battalion suffered many hardships. Food was short, and water was available only by crawling under fire to a nearby stream. Ammunition ran low. Communications were also a problem, and at times they would be bombarded by shells from their own artillery. As every runner dispatched by Whittlesey either became lost or ran into German patrols, carrier pigeons became the only method of communicating with headquarters. In an infamous incident on 4 October, inaccurate coordinates were delivered by one of the pigeons and the unit was subjected to "friendly fire". The unit was saved by another pigeon, Cher Ami,[2] delivering the following message:

WE ARE ALONG THE ROAD PARALELL 276.4. OUR ARTILLERY IS DROPPING A BARRAGE DIRECTLY ON US. FOR HEAVENS SAKE STOP IT.[3]

Despite this, they held their ground and caused enough of a distraction for other Allied units to break through the German lines, which forced the Germans to retreat.

There is a made for TV movie about, But I haven't seen it yet ,but it will be shown on the military History Channel this Sunday May 8th for those of you in the United States.

P.S.
Tell Kiku Don Corleone says hello
]

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, WB|War hawk1-5, Gustavo fire, Daniel Santana von Geltendorf, S. E. Dailey

Last edit: by nightorado.

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #331153

• WB|War hawk1-5
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The Battle of Jutland (German: Skagerrakschlacht, the Battle of Skagerrak) was a naval battle fought by the British Royal Navy's Grand Fleet under Admiral Sir John Jellicoe, against the Imperial German Navy's High Seas Fleet under Vice-Admiral Reinhard Scheer during the First World War.[1] The battle was fought from 31 May to 1 June 1916 in the North Sea, near the coast of Denmark's Jutland Peninsula. It was the largest naval battle and the only full-scale clash of battleships in the war. It was the third fleet action between steel battleships, following the smaller but more decisive battles of the Yellow Sea (1904) and Tsushima (1905) during the Russo-Japanese War.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jutland
The following user(s) said Thank You: nightorado, nebular, Gustavo fire, Daniel Santana von Geltendorf, S. E. Dailey

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #331996

• WB|War hawk1-5
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More Battle of Jutland stuffs
Germany's High Seas Fleet's intention was to lure out, trap and destroy a portion of the Grand Fleet, as the German naval force was insufficient to openly engage the entire British fleet. This formed part of a larger strategy to break the British blockade of Germany and to allow German mercantile shipping to operate. Meanwhile, Great Britain's Royal Navy pursued a strategy to engage and destroy the High Seas Fleet, or keep the German force contained and away from Britain's own shipping lanes.

The German plan was to use Vice-Admiral Franz Hipper's fast scouting group of five modern battlecruisers to lure Vice-Admiral Sir David Beatty's battlecruiser squadrons into the path of the main German fleet. Submarines were stationed in advance across the likely routes of the British ships. However, the British learned from signal intercepts that a major fleet operation was likely, so on 30 May Jellicoe sailed with the Grand Fleet to rendezvous with Beatty, passing over the locations of the German submarine picket lines while they were unprepared. The German plan had been delayed, causing further problems for their submarines which had reached the limit of their endurance at sea.

On the afternoon of 31 May, Beatty encountered Hipper's battlecruiser force long before the Germans had expected. In a running battle, Hipper successfully drew the British vanguard into the path of the High Seas Fleet. By the time Beatty sighted the larger force and turned back towards the British main fleet, he had lost two battlecruisers from a force of six battlecruisers and four battleships, against the five ships commanded by Hipper. The battleships, commanded by Rear-Admiral Sir Hugh Evan-Thomas, were the last to turn and formed a rearguard as Beatty withdrew, now drawing the German fleet in pursuit towards the main British positions. Between 18:30, when the sun was lowering on the western horizon, back-lighting the German forces, and nightfall at about 20:30, the two fleets – totalling 250 ships between them – directly engaged twice.

Fourteen British and eleven German ships were sunk, with great loss of life. After sunset, and throughout the night, Jellicoe manoeuvred to cut the Germans off from their base, hoping to continue the battle the next morning, but under the cover of darkness Scheer broke through the British light forces forming the rearguard of the Grand Fleet and returned to port.[3]
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jutland
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, nebular, Gustavo fire, S. E. Dailey

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 11 months ago #332309

• WB|War hawk1-5
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Italy in ww1

The first shells were fired in the dawn of 24 May 1915 against the enemy positions of Cervignano del Friuli, which was captured a few hours later. On the same day the Austro-Hungarian fleet bombarded the railway stations of Manfredonia and Ancona. The first Italian casualty was Riccardo Di Giusto.

The main effort was to be concentrated in the Isonzo and Vipava valleys and on the Kras plateau, in the direction of Ljubljana. The Italian troops had some initial successes, but as in the Western Front, the campaign soon evolved into trench warfare. The main difference was that the trenches had to be dug in the Alpine rocks and glaciers instead of in the mud, and often up to 3,000 m (9,800 ft) of altitude.

In the first months of the war Italy launched the following offensives:

First Battle of the Isonzo (23 June – 7 July)
Second Battle of the Isonzo (18 July – 4 August)
Third Battle of the Isonzo (18 October – 4 November)
Fourth Battle of the Isonzo (10 November)
In these first four battles, the Italian Army registered 60,000 fatalities and more than 150,000 wounded, equivalent to around one fourth of the mobilized forces. The offensive in the upper Cadore, near the Col di Lana, though secondary, blocked large Austro-Hungarian contingents, since it menaced their main logistic lines in Tyrol.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history...y_during_World_War_I
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, nightorado, nebular, Gustavo fire, Daniel Santana von Geltendorf, S. E. Dailey, WB| Karl XII av Sverige

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 10 months ago #334374

• WB|War hawk1-5
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Typical 1914 aircraft could carry only very small bomb loads – the bombs themselves, and their stowage, were still very elementary, and effective bomb sights were still to be developed. Nonetheless the beginnings of strategic and tactical bombing date from the earliest days of the war. Notable are the raids by the RNAS on the German airship sheds at Düsseldorf, Cologne and Friedrichshafen in September, October and November 1914, as well as the formation of the Brieftauben Abteilung Ostende (or "Ostend carrier pigeon detachment", cover name for the first German strategic bombing unit), which mounted the first token raid over the English Channel in December.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_in_World_War_I
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, nightorado, nebular, Gustavo fire, Daniel Santana von Geltendorf, S. E. Dailey

Daily Facts about WW1 7 years 10 months ago #335270

• WB|War hawk1-5
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
By the end of 1914 the line between the Germans and the Allies stretched from the North Sea to the Alps. The initial "war of movement" largely ceased, and the front became static. Three main functions of short range reconnaissance squadrons had emerged by March 1915.

The first was photographic reconnaissance: building up a complete mosaic map of the enemy trench system. The first air cameras used glass plates. (Kodak cellulose film had been invented, but did not at this stage have sufficient resolution).[10]

Artillery "spotting" enabled the ranging of artillery on targets invisible to the gunners. Radio telephony was not yet practical from an aircraft, so communication was a problem. By March 1915, a two-seater on "artillery observation" duties was typically equipped with a primitive radio transmitter transmitting using Morse code, but had no receiver. The artillery battery signalled to the aircraft by laying strips of white cloth on the ground in prearranged patterns. Observation duties were shared with the tethered balloons, which could communicate directly with their batteries by field telephone, but were far less flexible in locating targets and reporting the fall of shot.

"Contact patrol" work attempted to follow the course of a battle by communicating with advancing infantry while flying over the battlefield. The technology of the period did not permit radio contact, while methods of signalling were necessarily crude, including dropping messages from the aircraft. Soldiers were initially reluctant to reveal their positions to aircraft, as they (the soldiers) found distinguishing between friend and foe problematic.

Reconnaissance flying, like all kinds, was a hazardous business. In April 1917, the worst month for the entire war for the RFC, the average life expectancy of a British pilot on the Western Front was 93 flying hours.[11]en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_in_World_War_I
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, nebular, Gustavo fire, S. E. Dailey

Time to create page: 0.831 seconds