Warning

Empty password not allowed.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Dogfight forum!

Tell us and other pilots who you are, what you like and why you became a Dogfight pilot.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

TOPIC:

Thoughts to ponder 7 years 6 months ago #345469

• nebular
  • nebular's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2034
A close encounter of the massive kind
J. Maíz Apellániz, H. Sana, R. H. Barbá, J.-B. Le Bouquin, R. C. Gamen
(Submitted on 27 Sep 2016)

We have used (a) HST ACS imaging and STIS spectroscopy, (b) ground-based PIONIER/VLT long-baseline interferometry, and (c) ground-based spectroscopy from different instruments to study the orbit of the extreme multiple system HD 93 129 Aa,Ab, which is composed of (at least) two very massive stars in a long-period orbit with e>0.92 that will pass through periastron in 2017/2018.

Around the time of periastron passage the two very strong winds will collide and generate an outburst of non-thermal hard X-ray emission without precedent in an O+O binary since astronomers have been able to observe above Earth's atmosphere.

A coordinated multiwavelength monitoring in the next two years will enable a breakthrough understanding of the wind interactions in such extreme close encounters. Furthermore, we have found evidence that HD 93 129 Aa may be a binary system itself. In that case, we could witness a three-body interaction that may yield a runaway star or a stellar collision close to or shortly after the periastron passage. Either of those outcomes would be unprecedented, as they are predicted to be low-frequency events in the Milky Way.

more details of the effect in the vid below starting at 2:40

The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, nightorado

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Thoughts to ponder 7 years 6 months ago #345822

• Yonder Tiger
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • I live to do the right thing, be the best I can be
  • Thank you received: 94
We all know about the aircraft carriers. We faught for them. We took off and landed on and in them. But think about it- they are horrible aircraft carriers. They are too small to efficiantly hold many aircraft. And they move really slowly despite their minute size. Is this a problem of crew, or engineers? Or is there more to it!

-Yonder Tiger, Cat with Gun and Wing
The following user(s) said Thank You: nebular

Thoughts to ponder 7 years 6 months ago #345826

• Yonder Tiger
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • I live to do the right thing, be the best I can be
  • Thank you received: 94
Teleportation would atomically destroy, then recreate you elsewhere, essentually killing you and making a clone with your memories. What if that is what respawning is? You wouldn't know. Really makes me think... Are we all truly ourselves? Or are we just clones? To end it on a less grim note... Umm... Pizza cake! Darnit, I'm hungry now.

-Yonder Tiger... Clone?

Thoughts to ponder 7 years 5 months ago #349902

• nightorado
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1160
Howard: Aah, gold's a devilish sort of thing, anyway. You start out, you tell yourself you'll be satisfied with 25,000 handsome smackers worth of it. So help me, Lord, and cross my heart. Fine resolution. After months of sweatin' yourself dizzy, and growin' short on provisions, and findin' nothin', you finally come down to 15,000, then ten. Finally, you say, "Lord, let me just find $5,000 worth and I'll never ask for anythin' more the rest of my life."
Flophouse Bum: $5,000 is a lot of money.
Howard: Yeah, here in this joint it seems like a lot. But I tell you, if you was to make a real strike, you couldn't be dragged away. Not even the threat of miserable death would keep you from trying to add 10,000 more. Ten, you'd want to get twenty-five; twenty-five you'd want to get fifty; fifty, a hundred. Like roulette. One more turn, you know. Always one more.

From the film Treasure of the sierra madre
]

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, nebular

Thoughts to ponder 7 years 4 months ago #351409

• nightorado
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
]

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, TXLAWMAN, nebular

Thoughts to ponder 7 years 4 months ago #351541

• Rudolf Rednose
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 2783

Yonder Tiger wrote: Teleportation would atomically destroy, then recreate you elsewhere, essentually killing you and making a clone with your memories. What if that is what respawning is? You wouldn't know. Really makes me think... Are we all truly ourselves? Or are we just clones? To end it on a less grim note... Umm... Pizza cake! Darnit, I'm hungry now.

-Yonder Tiger... Clone?

Just make sure there is no fly on your screen while respawning.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, TXLAWMAN, nightorado, nebular

Thoughts to ponder 7 years 3 months ago #355166

• nightorado
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

THE- Carl Sagan
]

The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, TXLAWMAN, nebular

Thoughts to ponder 7 years 1 month ago #358264

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Don't believe everything you think.
  • Thank you received: 5398
Oh science!

We now have cyborg insects. As the article in the link below says, the technology is mature and in the process of implimentation. Remote controlled hissing cockroach, anyone?

Having grown up on a steady diet of science-fiction, these are interesting times. Who could forget the movie with Jeff Goldblum as "The Fly". (see Rudi's post above) Insects have long been a favorite for creative story writers, from ants to exoskelletal aileans but once again science-fiction has become science fact.

www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovation/how-cybo...-our-enemies-n730016

Last edit: by [NLR] McFate.

Thoughts to ponder 7 years 1 week ago #359766

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Interesting article. (Written June 2012) Who does this make you think of?:huh:

www.naturalnews.com/036112_sociopaths_cults_influence.html

10 signs for spotting a sociopath
#1) Sociopaths are charming. Sociopaths have high charisma and tend to attract a following just because people want to be around them. They have a "glow" about them that attracts people who typically seek guidance or direction. They often appear to be sexy or have a strong sexual attraction. Not all sexy people are sociopaths, obviously, but watch out for over-the-top sexual appetites and weird fetishes.

#2) Sociopaths are more spontaneous and intense than other people. They tend to do bizarre, sometimes erratic things that most regular people wouldn't do. They are unbound by normal social contracts. Their behavior often seems irrational or extremely risky.

#3) Sociopaths are incapable of feeling shame, guilt or remorse. Their brains simply lack the circuitry to process such emotions. This allows them to betray people, threaten people or harm people without giving it a second thought. They pursue any action that serves their own self interest even if it seriously harms others. This is why you will find many very "successful" sociopaths in high levels of government, in any nation.

#4) Sociopaths invent outrageous lies about their experiences. They wildly exaggerate things to the point of absurdity, but when they describe it to you in a storytelling format, for some reason it sounds believable at the time.

#5) Sociopaths seek to dominate others and "win" at all costs. They hate to lose any argument or fight and will viciously defend their web of lies, even to the point of logical absurdity.

#6) Sociopaths tend to be highly intelligent, but they use their brainpower to deceive others rather than empower them. Their high IQs often makes them dangerous. This is why many of the best-known serial killers who successfully evaded law enforcement were sociopaths.

#7) Sociopaths are incapable of love and are entirely self-serving. They may feign love or compassion in order to get what they want, but they don't actually FEEL love in the way that you or I do.

#8 ) Sociopaths speak poetically. They are master wordsmiths, able to deliver a running "stream of consciousness" monologue that is both intriguing and hypnotic. They are expert storytellers and even poets. As a great example of this in action, watch this interview of Charles Manson on YouTube. (See the article for the link)

#9) Sociopaths never apologize. They are never wrong. They never feel guilt. They can never apologize. Even if shown proof that they were wrong, they will refuse to apologize and instead go on the attack.

#10) Sociopaths are delusional and literally believe that what they say becomes truth merely because they say it! Charles Manson, the sociopathic murderer, is famous for saying, "I've never killed anyone! I don't need to kill anyone! I THINK it! I have it HERE! (Pointing to his temple.) I don't need to live in this physical realm..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] The Blue Fighter, dognamitt, nebular

Thoughts to ponder 7 years 1 week ago #359768

• dognamitt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • you will miss 100% of the shots you dont take
  • Thank you received: 5755
was this post as a result of the weekends shenanigans sir fate?

[NLR] McFate wrote: Interesting article. (Written June 2012) Who does this make you think of?:huh:

www.naturalnews.com/036112_sociopaths_cults_influence.html

10 signs for spotting a sociopath
#1) Sociopaths are charming. Sociopaths have high charisma and tend to attract a following just because people want to be around them. They have a "glow" about them that attracts people who typically seek guidance or direction. They often appear to be sexy or have a strong sexual attraction. Not all sexy people are sociopaths, obviously, but watch out for over-the-top sexual appetites and weird fetishes.

#2) Sociopaths are more spontaneous and intense than other people. They tend to do bizarre, sometimes erratic things that most regular people wouldn't do. They are unbound by normal social contracts. Their behavior often seems irrational or extremely risky.

#3) Sociopaths are incapable of feeling shame, guilt or remorse. Their brains simply lack the circuitry to process such emotions. This allows them to betray people, threaten people or harm people without giving it a second thought. They pursue any action that serves their own self interest even if it seriously harms others. This is why you will find many very "successful" sociopaths in high levels of government, in any nation.

#4) Sociopaths invent outrageous lies about their experiences. They wildly exaggerate things to the point of absurdity, but when they describe it to you in a storytelling format, for some reason it sounds believable at the time.

#5) Sociopaths seek to dominate others and "win" at all costs. They hate to lose any argument or fight and will viciously defend their web of lies, even to the point of logical absurdity.

#6) Sociopaths tend to be highly intelligent, but they use their brainpower to deceive others rather than empower them. Their high IQs often makes them dangerous. This is why many of the best-known serial killers who successfully evaded law enforcement were sociopaths.

#7) Sociopaths are incapable of love and are entirely self-serving. They may feign love or compassion in order to get what they want, but they don't actually FEEL love in the way that you or I do.

#8 ) Sociopaths speak poetically. They are master wordsmiths, able to deliver a running "stream of consciousness" monologue that is both intriguing and hypnotic. They are expert storytellers and even poets. As a great example of this in action, watch this interview of Charles Manson on YouTube. (See the article for the link)

#9) Sociopaths never apologize. They are never wrong. They never feel guilt. They can never apologize. Even if shown proof that they were wrong, they will refuse to apologize and instead go on the attack.

#10) Sociopaths are delusional and literally believe that what they say becomes truth merely because they say it! Charles Manson, the sociopathic murderer, is famous for saying, "I've never killed anyone! I don't need to kill anyone! I THINK it! I have it HERE! (Pointing to his temple.) I don't need to live in this physical realm..."

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 11 months ago #360521

• nightorado
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

When Winston says this, he does not mean purity and goodness in the sense of helping others, or having manners, or being trustworthy. Instead, he is referring to The Party's definition of purity and goodness- turning in one's own family for thoughtcrime, loving no one except for Big Brother, and believing whatever The Party says. This is strong irony, because traditional virtue is considered to be corrupt by The Party. Therefore, Winston is actually saying that he hates The Party and their values.
]

Attachments:

Last edit: by nightorado.

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 9 months ago #363495

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thoughts to ponder? It looks like we can now digitally ponder other people's thoughts. :S

Scientists have now found a way to read complex thoughts by reading brain activity... and it works across language barriers. Forget polygraphs or background checks , this is creepy. On the other hand sci-fi gadgets like "universal translators" may actually be possible, and the ramifications for digitally enhanced cognitive implants and prosthetics are mind boggling .

Beyond bananas: Scientists harness 'mind reading' technology to decode complex thoughts
medicalxpress.com/news/2017-06-bananas-s...mind-technology.html

From the article:

* Carnegie Mellon University scientists can now use brain activation patterns to identify complex thoughts, such as, "The witness shouted during the trial."

* "Our method overcomes the unfortunate property of fMRI to smear together the signals emanating from brain events that occur close together in time, like the reading of two successive words in a sentence," Just said. "This advance makes it possible for the first time to decode thoughts containing several concepts. That's what most human thoughts are composed of."

A couple other interesting articles:

This is your brain on sentences
medicalxpress.com/news/2016-08-brain-sentences.html#nRlv

Study shines light on brain cells that coordinate movement
medicalxpress.com/news/2017-06-brain-cells-movement.html

The ability to "hack" humans may not be far off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] The Blue Fighter, nebular, DireWolf{WP}

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 7 months ago #365274

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Want to end lag completely? Try a quantum entanglement modem.

The signals we use to play dogfight are beamed all around the earth, amazingly allowing our pixels to fight each other in "real time"... except when there is lag. Lag occurs because the signals from different players devices take time to travel, meanwhile, game programming has to try to cope with the time delay by making some assumptions or predictions of what a will happen next before actually receiving the signals sent from afar. Lag can be a slight strobe effect or it can make planes teleport and pull impossible moves.

If modems using quantum entanglement become reality the signals will be sent and received between entangled devices instantly. No lag, no delay. Fiber optics may be obsolete very soon. Devices with entangled receivers may be able to communicate instantly, securely and at any distance.

phys.org/news/2017-08-bell-prize-scientists-spooky-quantum.html

From the article:

According to quantum entanglement, the world is a very weird place where quantum particles become correlated in pairs. These pairs predictably interact with each other regardless of how far apart they are: if you measure the properties of one member of the entangled pair you know the properties of the other. Einstein was not a believer: in the 1930s, he called it "spooky action at a distance."

BTW, yes. It does kind of throw some of the laws of physics and the theory of relatively on their ear. :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZebraUp, [NLR] The Blue Fighter, nebular, Cush62

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 7 months ago #365296

• ZebraUp
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Flying & Fighting with STYLE!
  • Thank you received: 4244

I'd say those three scientists have a lock on the Nobel Prize in Physics! Funny thing, many science fiction writers have used quantum entangled communication devices for decades in their novels. There IS a distance limitation though.. Across the solar system, galaxy, or even our universe, no problem, instantaneous.. But it's theorized that it won't work from one universe to another, but I'm sure that by the time we need to worry about communicating that far the problems will be overcome lol!
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, nebular

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 7 months ago #365348

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"We have embedded artificial intelligence into a micro/nanorobot," Li told Phys.org. "We introduce a smart microvehicle for precise autonomous navigation in complicated and dynamically changing environments through optimal path planning. Similar to their large vehicle counterparts, the autonomous navigation of microvehicles entails collision-free movement in dynamic environments."

Read more at:
phys.org/news/2017-08-self-driving-vehicles-microscale.html

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 6 months ago #366469

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Technology. Where will it take us? Scientists and engineers are constantly making new discoveries that push the envelope of what is possible for mankind. While the science and the intended uses can be astounding, the unintended possibilities and consequence are often ignored. Robotics and artificial intelligence are prime examples.

Lots of research funding is dedicated to prosthetics where the goal is to replace failed body parts and organs. This development of "Cybernetics" ( the science of communications and automatic control systems in both machines and living things) insures that some robotics and AI will become as life-like as possible as things progress, while control and interaction between machine and organisms will become more seamless.

One of the greatest goals for prosthetics has been to repair damaged nerves, especially for spinal injuries. Quantum entanglement holds great potential for being able to transmit signals between severed nerve ends. QE has advantages over other types of signal transmission for several reasons; no time delay, no distance limitations, it can transmit digital or analog signals, not subject to external interference.... So, imagine someone who has been paralyzed by a spinal injury, the nerves could be fully intact both above and below the injury; the quantum transceivers (device which can send and receive signals) are used to bridge the gap, and return function to the paralyzed areas. Truly awesome use of technology! So many lives can be improved!

But...
If the Quantum neural transceivers can transfer across a break in a spinal cord they could also transmit signal from one spine to another. Control of a body could be hacked. Brain (or body) transplants may become a reality.

Ponder that! :p

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 2 months ago #369322

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.”

― George Orwell

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 2 months ago #369862

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Legos and Minecraft are good for your brain!

Spatial skills higher among those who played with construction-based toys and video games in childhood: study

Read more at: phys.org/news/2018-02-spatial-skills-hig...-based-toys.html#jCp

From the article:

Young adults who played with construction-based toys such as Legos, or with certain types of video games outperformed other peers in tests of spatial reasoning—like the skill needed to mentally rotate objects. And most notably, the new research found that gender differences in spatial skills disappear when the researchers considered the impact of childhood play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nebular, OUTLAW_WAR

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 1 month ago #370395

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The Republican and Democratic parties of the United States have swapped their original views almost completely. None of the founders would recognize their parties today. Too bad they didn't meet in the middle instead of just switching sides.

Abraham Lincoln would not recognize today's GOP. Lincoln understood bipartasanship. He was more of a liberal thinker than today's Republicans. He understood standing up for ideals, not just business interests. He was an iconoclastic and detested the Nativist American Party (AKA the "Know Nothing Party") because they opposed immigration and supported traditional religious and political values. He hated that slavery "...deprives our Republican example of it's just influence in the world..." He supported working to bring the country back together with all men as equals, not dividing the country with ideological differences.

As for the original Democrats, let's just say they too have abandoned many of their founding principals of social conservatism, economic liberalism and Southern populism. They would have loved Donald Trump.

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 1 month ago #370414

• nebular
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

[NLR] McFate wrote: The Republican and Democratic parties of the United States have swapped their original views almost completely. None of the founders would recognize their parties today. Too bad they didn't meet in the middle instead of just switching sides.

Abraham Lincoln would not recognize today's GOP. Lincoln understood bipartasanship. He was more of a liberal thinker than today's Republicans. He understood standing up for ideals, not just business interests. He was an iconoclastic and detested the Nativist American Party (AKA the "Know Nothing Party") because they opposed immigration and supported traditional religious and political values. He hated that slavery "...deprives our Republican example of it's just influence in the world..." He supported working to bring the country back together with all men as equals, not dividing the country with ideological differences.

As for the original Democrats, let's just say they too have abandoned many of their founding principals of social conservatism, economic liberalism and Southern populism. They would have loved Donald Trump.

Nowadays is has come to both parties being funded by the same billionaires with the same agendas... Right wing, Left wing, Same Bird...
Oh how I wish some third parties would be allowed to play
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 1 month ago #370422

• Mongo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fly like its stolen shoot like you mean to keep it
  • Thank you received: 6558

Nebular wrote:

[NLR] McFate wrote: The Republican and Democratic parties of the United States have swapped their original views almost completely. None of the founders would recognize their parties today. Too bad they didn't meet in the middle instead of just switching sides.

Nowadays is has come to both parties being funded by the same billionaires with the same agendas... Right wing, Left wing, Same Bird...
Oh how I wish some third parties would be allowed to play

Third parties are allowed nebular, they just cant get enoughtraction to make much of a show. Libertarians, green party, etc, they both had presidential candidates last time. Couple of other parties too I think. Most have too narrow an agenda to gain much support.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction
(.Y.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeramy, [NLR] McFate, nebular, OUTLAW_WAR

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 1 month ago #370612

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Conspiracy corner.

What is the illumanati?

Is there really a secret society pulling strings of power around the world?

It is such a huge conspiracy theory that it's hard for most people to take it seriously. I'm not saying there is nothing there but you have to introduce the concept in small bites and realize that a lot of paranoia has clung to the narrative.

Start slowly. Check out the non-conspiratorial YouTube videos about the world's 10 wealthiest families. Among them are the Waltons (Wal-Mart), the Kochs, The House of Saud and far and away the richest: the Rothchilds. While the House of Saud (Saudi Arabia) has an estimated wealth somewhere between $1-1.5 trillion, the Rothchild wealth is estimated to be in excess of $10 trillion.

Then take a look at the non-conspiratorial history of how they became so rich. It can be difficult to find a historical perspective rather than a tinfoil hat version but they are out there. The History channel has a five hour version! There are some crazy but historically confirmed stories of how world leaders have come to them for funding which has altered the outcomes of World Wars. If you really go down the rabbit hole you can find conspiracy theories of how they use chem trails and additives in food and drinking water to "control the masses". It makes it difficult to keep track of what may be real and what is sheer fantasy. Some claim it is intentional obfuscation! :S

Check out the history of fractional reserve lending and how the Central Banks create money out of nothing. Follow the Rothchild's banking history and how connected and influential they have been going back into the 16 hundreds and the idea that they still have influence makes sense. There are very few countries which do not have a Rothchild related central bank: Cuba, North Korea and Iran.

Believe what you will, it's hard to flatly deny that there are shenanigans going on here and someone is profiting big time.

The following user(s) said Thank You: nebular, Coug737

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 1 month ago #370619

• nebular
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

[NLR] McFate wrote: Conspiracy corner.

What is the illumanati?

It is such a huge conspiracy theory that it's hard for most people to take it seriously. I'm not saying there is nothing there but you have to introduce the concept in small bites and realize that a lot of paranoia has clung to the narrative.

Start slowly. Check out the non-conspiratorial YouTube videos about the world's 10 wealthiest families. Among them are the Waltons (Wal-Mart), the Kochs, The House of Saud and far and away the richest: the Rothchilds. While the House of Saud (Saudi Arabia) has an estimated wealth somewhere between $1-1.5 trillion, the Rothchild wealth is estimated to be in excess of $10 trillion.

Then take a look at the non-conspiratorial history of how they became so rich. It can be difficult to find a historical perspective rather than a tinfoil hat version but they are out there. The History channel has a five hour version! There are some crazy but historically confirmed stories of how they have had world leaders come to them for funding which has altered the outcomes of World Wars. If you really go down the rabbit hole you can find conspiracy theories of how they use chem trails and additives in food and drinking water to "control the masses". It makes it difficult to keep track of what may be real and what is sheer fantasy. Some claim it is intentional obfuscation! :S

Check out the history of fractional reserve lending and how the Central Banks create money out of nothing. Follow the Rothchild's banking history and how connected and influential they have been going back into the 16 hundreds and the idea that they still have influence makes sense. There are very few countries which do not have a Rothchild related central bank: Cuba, North Korea and Iran.

Believe what you will, it's hard to flatly deny that there are shenanigans going on here and someone is profiting big time.

Add a couple wraps on your foil hat and watch this all the way thru...
The following user(s) said Thank You: [NLR] McFate, OUTLAW_WAR

Last edit: by nebular.

Thoughts to ponder 6 years 1 month ago #370626

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
:)

Lol Neb.

I never did get to the whole lizard alien thing. :-0

Thoughts to ponder 5 years 11 months ago #371417

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Déjà vu : the feeling that the situation currently being experienced has already been experienced in the past.

"...studies confirm that déjà vu is a common experience in healthy individuals, with between 31% and 96% of individuals reporting it."
- from Wikipedia

Is déjà vu evidence that life may be a simulation and we are experiencing lag?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gannet, nebular, OUTLAW_WAR

Thoughts to ponder 5 years 2 months ago #376012

• [NLR] McFate
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20/20 Vision? Bah!

Years ago, when I started playing dogfight, I had excellent vision. I could read the smallest script on any packaging, even the tiniest black ink on black plastic, as long as there was the smallest glint of light to show contrast between the letters and the background. No more. Over the last 4 years I've bought enough drug store reading glasses that I'm never more than a few feet from the nearest pair, but still it can be inconvenient as I struggle in the shower to identify which bottle is shampoo and which is conditioner.

My distance vision is still pretty good but nothing compared to how it used to be. I used to be a great long distance shot at the rifle range with open sites, now I doubt I could feed the family by hunting if it came to that, though a recent trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles confirmed that I am still considered okay to drive without corrective lenses.

Yesterday I had my first visit with an optometrist. I was hopeful to get a prescription or even a referral to Lasik surgery. Nope. Apparently I now have 20/20 vision. WTF? The doctor explained that my distance vision was "normal" and there was nothing he could prescribe for up close that would do any more good than the cheap-drug-store magnifying reading glasses I've already been using.

I had no idea. My younger vision was excellent. I don't recall ever having it measured but I'm sure I must have been 40/20 or something similar.I can still remember the detail and distance I used to enjoy without any real appreciation.

Oh man! What else do I take for granted now that I'm going to lose soon? :s

(I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dognamitt, nebular, [TFL] alwaystrouble

Thoughts to ponder 5 years 2 months ago #376014

• dognamitt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • you will miss 100% of the shots you dont take
  • Thank you received: 5755
lmao your mother always said you'd go blind if you didn't stop doing that
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gizmo., [NLR] McFate, [*M] Pagan, nebular

Thoughts to ponder 4 years 10 months ago #377393

• nebular
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Is there anybody else out there who does not buy the current model??

Thoughts to ponder 4 years 8 months ago #378037

• nebular
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Some great warbirds here!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Acegirl, DireWolf{WP****}

Last edit: by nebular.

Thoughts to ponder 4 years 8 months ago #378126